Strings on Kalas

CYN

Reaction score
Does anyone know off hand what strings Kala usually uses on their concert ukes? Examples Kala ACP-CTG?

Thanks that is what I thought. Not too partial to Aquila. Anyone have some Aquila strings they really love?

The ‘Martin Premium by Aquila’ strings are a nice compromise of the brightness of fluorocarbon with a richer tone. The Sugar strings sound great but initially are too squeaky. Aquila is testing new formulas to limit the squeak.

Yes, Aquilas are everywhere, installed on most all new ukes from Kala, Ohana, Cordoba, etc. I prefer flourocarbon strings on most ukes, but Aquilas do sound better on some ukes. I have one less expensive tenor where Aquilas sound excellent. Also, the more expensive Kanilea brand installs Aquilas on their ukes, they feel that the Aquilas sound best on their instruments. If not happy with your current strings, just experiment until you find what you like.

Thanks that is what I thought. Not too partial to Aquila. Anyone have some Aquila strings they really love?

Might I ask what Aquila strings you've tried and what you didn't like about them? I like Aquilas. When I first started playing they were the string. Everyone had to have Aquila strings. I've just stuck with them. I used Nylgut and Super Nylgut for years. The last year or so I've been using Sugars on one of my ukes and I really like them.

I have low g reds on mine and like them. I've noticed difference in string sets though. in some the string feels more rough, it others, more smooth. I actually like the ones that feel a little rougher.

Just put some Oasis Flurocarbons on my Mainland mahogany and like them enough that I may try them on my Kala next change.

I'm really high on the reds; work well for soprano and concert. Haven't tried them on my tenor, which I really prefer with Savane.

Good to know. I've got some Oasis in my box and will give them a swing. Boy do I hate that resettling period, though. But the reds DID give me more soprano barminess!!!!

Thanks guys for the help. I have really just used the Aquilas that have come on the instruments. So maybe I have not really given them a chance. I just went on to other strings. I do have a package of Aquila Lavas I could try.

Kala normally uses Aquila Nylguts, but most of their acacia-and-cedar and spruce-and-ebony model lines sound better with Aquila Reds, especially if you opt for linear tuning.

Flourocarbon strings are the finest from my point of view, you should try them out.

Might I ask what Aquila strings you've tried and what you didn't like about them? I like Aquilas. When I first started playing they were the string. Everyone had to have Aquila strings. I've just stuck with them. I used Nylgut and Super Nylgut for years. The last year or so I've been using Sugars on one of my ukes and I really like them.

I agree. Strings are such a personal thing. What one person absolutely loves and recommends, you may detest. Not just the sound, but the thickness and texture of the strings and apparent tension as well.

I really like the sound of Sugars, but the squeak wouldn't go away fast enough for me. Hoping the new version is a winner.

Thanks guys for the help. I have really just used the Aquilas that have come on the instruments. So maybe I have not really given them a chance. I just went on to other strings. I do have a package of Aquila Lavas I could try.

The Aquila Lavas should be the exact same strings as the ones that came with the instrument (Super Nylgut) except for the colour. If you don't like the Super Nylguts then I wouldn't bother with the Lavas.

Strings are quite a personal thing. I'd suggest trying most of the different types. Many have already mentioned Aquila Reds and Sugars. Both should be slightly brighter than the Super Nylguts/Lavas. I prefer fluorocarbons myself but they are typically the brightest. If you don't fancy that you can try the Martin Premiums, as someone suggested. They're a nice mix of fluorocarbon and nylgut, not quite as bright. If still too bright, try brown (Worth) or black (Fremont) fluorocarbons. If you really want to go to the mellow end, try clear or black nylon (D'Addario, for example).

Personally, I love to try out which strings sound best for me on which instrument, which feel best for my fingers, etc. Changing to a different type of string can completely change how a uke sounds. Just my two cents.

I'm not fond of the white Aquila nylgut. I think there are better strings out there. Reds are quite superior.

Try also fluorocarbons. Brown Worths can mellow out the sound if you like going that direction.

I've tried Aquila strings on several of my tenors. I think they are fine strings, I just don't care for the Nylon or Gut sound. They sound harsh and klangy to me.

They do sound really good on my banjo ukes.

I liked the sound of the Sugars. They seem like a very good mix of Nylon and fluorocarbon sound and characteristics. The squeak was irritating though.

I find that the thick Nylon strings are somewhat harder on my fingers. Not as bendy as the thinner fluoros.

Strictly my own personal preferences.

Top Bottom