New 10th Anniversary Fun Build

BuzzBD

Reaction score
Ten years ago I was finishing the final assembly of the first Fun Build ukulele. The concept was conceived by Vic Jones of Blue Frog Ukuleles. Basically several uke builders from around the world built the various parts of a ukulele based on the Scott Antes Martin O style plans and sent them to me for final assembly. Vic selected the winner of the contest and the ukulele was shipped to her. Some time after that, I started a new fun build. Unfortunately shortly after starting that project, I was beset by some family and health issues that brought my building to a halt and I was not able to finish it. So after the subject of the Fun Build was brought up again in the Luthiers Forum, I have decided to finish what I started and do a second Fun Build, to be given away to a UU member. This will be a solo build by me this time, but as I did the final assembly on the first one I am in a unique position to carry on the tradition. The first one was built on the premise of being wild and crazy with materials and ideas within the design parameters of a Martin style O soprano. I am going to build on the Martin concert style this time but things are still going to be unconventional.
Where I would like your participation is in choosing which UU member to give it to. I want to send it to someone who epitomizes the aloha and UU spirit and will appreciate the uniqueness and tradition of the Fun Build. You may respond to this thread or send me an email. Anything goes, the idea is to have fun with this.
To whet your appetite here is a list of how the build is laid out now. Although this will be a solo effort by me the materials will be from various builders from all over the world.

Top- Sitka spruce and quilted big leaf maple from the PNW
Back- Ancient kauri from New Zealand
Sides- Koa from Hawaii
Neck- Narra from SE Asia
Fretboard- Kiawe from Hawaii
Bindings and trim- what ever comes to hand at the time

I will be posting some progress pics shortly,
Mahalo
Brad

Following! :shaka:

Thanks Jim, and for those who were not around for the first Fun Build, Ken Timms posted a link to a YouTube video of it and a link to the aborted second one on the What’s Happening in Your Shed thread on page 178 in the Luthiers forum
Brad

What a great idea, Brad. I'll be watching this space.

Looks like a great start. Looking forward to following the progress.

Glad to hear you are recovered and circumstances are better.

as someone who owns two of Bradford's fine instruments i find this a glorious build concept.

I'll be following this, and cheering for whoever gets it.

Interesting. It's a mix of different woods, and design details. And yet, somehow, it comes together and works. Nicely done.

Can't wait to see the neck and the face and back plates.

Last edited:
wonderful mate.
looks like gator took a piece outa the top bout...

That looks great, and that was fast. It would likely take me a month to get that far.

Top Bottom