E chord on low G

benwaahh

Reaction score
Is it common for the E chord to sound a bit droney on a uke strung to low G?

I've had a second uke strung to low G for a while, and it's always kind of annoyed me how the E sounds (high g sounds great) but I'm particularly frustrated with it tonight and it's driven me to internet forums. The intonation is off a touch from open strings, but even with the strings corrected individually for the chord it just sounds.. off?

What voicing are you using? 4442? I haven't notice that being a problem with my low G. There are a number of chords that DO sound a bit boomy on low G, in particular Em when voiced 0432. So with low G I only ever play Em as 4432.

No problems with E chords on my low G 'ukuleles (Kala Elite). Nice and resonant with good intonation in 2nd position (4442), 4th (4447) and 7th (9877). The 4th position E chord is especially beautiful and chimes like a friggen bell. I'm not sure what you mean by droney but if you omit the 3rd of the chord (G-sharp in an E chord) it can sound like a drone instrument. Maybe you need a new set of strings?

This may be my error, I've always played it 1402. 4442 is spot on. They both sound nice on high G, just not low G for some reason?

Yes, 1402 is an E chord but the two middle strings (42) produce an E unison and, thus, are more subject to a chorusing detuning effect than 4442 or 4447.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a particular reason that the 2 B notes in 4442 don't produce the same effect?

Pardon my ignorance, but is there a particular reason that the 2 B notes in 4442 don't produce the same effect?

The wee bit of wayward intonation could be due to your strings or frets. It's hard to say without playing your instrument. However, to my ear, detuning or chorusing is more apparent—easier to hear—with unisons than octaves.

I have aquila reds on here that are about a year old, suppose it's time to swap them out. Thanks for the info!

It's also possible that your uke naturally resonates at G#, so that 1st fret on the G string is overpowering the other notes.

It's also possible that your uke naturally resonates at G#, so that 1st fret on the G string is overpowering the other notes.

didn't know that was possible. I have 2 strung that way and on one the g really does seem to drop loooooowww. I thought it might have just been the string

Are you using a wound Low-G string? I've found that they can get somewhat overpowering on some chords.

Top Bottom