Using an E-string as a low A string?

Jupu

Reaction score
Using an E-string as a low A (and high G) string?

I'm playing a song that needs a low A string as the 4th. I don't have a low-G uke, but I can play it with a sloppy high G-string.

I was thinking though, whether it would be wiser to restring so that I'd take an E string from a set and put that as the 4th?

I wonder if my bridge would still bear if I then wanted that E string to be tuned to the high G, that is, 3 half-steps above what it is designed for on the 2nd place?

This is not a permanent solution, mainly just fooling around.

Last edited:
You can safely use a low-G string and tune it up to A, or just play the A on the second fret of it. E string would be way too thin and sound like nothing.

Yea, but the thing is, I already have a g and E string, and I wouldn't wanna bother buying a low g string. And wouldn't the action, maybe tone even, be off with the low g nut?

And like I said, I'm already playing it with a high g string, and even that sounds and feels like something. Not good, but something, which means that an E string would be almost good.

I do have a C string too, but for convenience's sake, it would be nice if I could tune the same string to high g, when I wanna play something normal. With the E string it would mean 3 half steps more of extra tension. It's the smallest extra tension available, but I wonder if even that is too risky.

So the result you need would be a linear tuning but with a low A rather than low G?

If you're after linear tuning and you have a spare uke you could rearrange the C, G and E strings. C would go on the 4th string and you'd tune it low A. E on the 3rd string, tuned to C. G string on the 2nd, tuned to E and the A would keep its tuning and remain on the 1st string.
Glen Rose mentioned swapping the strings around on his website, I seem to remember. It was supposed to let you try the sound of a low G before you went out to get a low G set or solo string.

You're right, Ms Bean. That is one option.

It's just that it would be a bit easier to mess around only with the 4th string and leave the others be.

Top Bottom