Thread: Using an E-string as a low A string?

Default Using an E-string as a low A (and high G) string?

I'm playing a song that needs a low A string as the 4th. I don't have a low-G uke, but I can play it with a sloppy high G-string.

I was thinking though, whether it would be wiser to restring so that I'd take an E string from a set and put that as the 4th?

I wonder if my bridge would still bear if I then wanted that E string to be tuned to the high G, that is, 3 half-steps above what it is designed for on the 2nd place?

This is not a permanent solution, mainly just fooling around.
    Last edited by Jupu; 02-13-2020 at 11:28 PM.

You can safely use a low-G string and tune it up to A, or just play the A on the second fret of it. E string would be way too thin and sound like nothing.

Yea, but the thing is, I already have a g and E string, and I wouldn't wanna bother buying a low g string. And wouldn't the action, maybe tone even, be off with the low g nut?

And like I said, I'm already playing it with a high g string, and even that sounds and feels like something. Not good, but something, which means that an E string would be almost good.

I do have a C string too, but for convenience's sake, it would be nice if I could tune the same string to high g, when I wanna play something normal. With the E string it would mean 3 half steps more of extra tension. It's the smallest extra tension available, but I wonder if even that is too risky.

So the result you need would be a linear tuning but with a low A rather than low G?

If you're after linear tuning and you have a spare uke you could rearrange the C, G and E strings. C would go on the 4th string and you'd tune it low A. E on the 3rd string, tuned to C. G string on the 2nd, tuned to E and the A would keep its tuning and remain on the 1st string.
    Glen Rose mentioned swapping the strings around on his website, I seem to remember. It was supposed to let you try the sound of a low G before you went out to get a low G set or solo string.

You're right, Ms Bean. That is one option.

It's just that it would be a bit easier to mess around only with the 4th string and leave the others be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupu View Post
    You're right, Ms Bean. That is one option.

It's just that it would be a bit easier to mess around only with the 4th string and leave the others be.
    Then just do it and let us know how it worked.

Thread Information