USA tourism

Rbee

Reaction score
Hi,

I will have the opportunity to visit usa from Chicago to San francisco passing by grand junction, las vegas, los angeles and san francisco in may.

Do you recommand to visit some shop or workshop in this part of usa (not sure to post in the good section of the forum...)?

I see there is a good shop to ventura yet i search also for luthier tools or vintage uke's

Thanks for your help :),

Raphaël.

In the Los Angeles area there are many. In Santa Monica there's McCabe's Guitar shop, Culver City is Boulevard Music, Downtown LA is U-Space, in Huntington Beach is Island Bazaar, and most music stores now carry ukuleles. Don't know who might carry luthier tools, but online, StewMac.com is a good place, you could look there and maybe have something delivered to where you're residing along the way.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

If you pass through St Louis MO you could visit Hibdon Hardwoods. Great wood vendor and nice people!!

I'm in Grand Junction, Colorado. You are welcome to drop in.

Thanks all,

@kohanmike : thanks, really interesting! unfortunately, each day i will be in a different city so impossible to ship from stewmac. Yet, i love your adress around LA, thanks. I Hope to find some vintage uke and get back with american strings

@ksquine : thanks for the adress, i save it , yet, i will not pass by St louis :(

@Pete Howlett : exactly why i made this post. I have a great respect about luthier and their works and i don't know if it's possible to visit a workshop without bothering them. For me it's an hobby, for you a work. I don't love to be disturb a lot during my work so i understand your point.

@Beau : Thanks, i'm a great fan of your work and all the vids and post you made, it's really helpfull , inspirating and instructive.
Yet, i didn't ask you because i will arrive at Grand junction the May 2nd by Zephir Train at 4 pm and I will need to get my rental car back at the airport...
if it's not a problem for you that i come to visit you on a Saturday at the end of the day (probably 6:00 pm) i will be very lucky and happy.
if you want, we can continue this discussion in private message

Raphaël

In the Los Angeles area there are many. In Santa Monica there's McCabe's Guitar shop, Culver City is Boulevard Music, Downtown LA is U-Space, in Huntington Beach is Island Bazaar, and most music stores now carry ukuleles. Don't know who might carry luthier tools, but online, StewMac.com is a good place, you could look there and maybe have something delivered to where you're residing along the way.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 6 acoustic bass ukes, 12 solid body bass ukes, 14 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 41)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers
Thanks, very interesting adress, i will go to Island Bazar, U-space and anacapa ukulele :)

U Space is a very cool place. A lot of ukes in a small place and very, very knowledgeable folks. Jason is an excellent player and teacher. The shop is easy walking distance from the train station which is how I go if I have to go to Los Angeles. I can barely stand to drive there without pulling out my hair. It's a serious exorcise in frustration to drive in that place.

Top Bottom