hearing aids

fowl

Reaction score
I wear hearing aids, and there are probably some other old guys here that do the same. I have some new aids and they help with lots of things, the telephone, the TV, hearing a high pitched voice, but when I play my uke it can sound a little tinny. If I take out my hearing aids it sounds much better to me. Just my opinion. Try it, you might like it.

Mine have adjustments through a phone app. I have settings both for music listening/playing and streaming. On the all around setting they do sound tinny.

I usually take mine out when playing a banjo, if the pickin’ don’t sound right. The tenor guitars and baritone uke sound better, so I just leave ‘em in. I have a button to push (for “music”), and it does improve the music’s sound a little bit. I use it some times, but, mostly, I take ‘em out. They do help with my tinnitus problems though.

A waste of money, for me, in my opinion. I coulda bought a really nice banjo for what they costed me. :eek:ld:

Last edited:
when i wear mine and play the uke, i get ghost tones and weird harmonics. i can listen to others fine, but not my own instrument.

I also have moderate hearing loss. I started wearing hearing aids about two years ago. I should say, it was hard for me to play the uke with them. In general, I didn't like them and didn't feel confident. So, I decided to buy another pair but choose it together with an audiologist. Finally, I bought those that are worn completely in the canal. But hearing aids are very expensive. My digital aids cost $4200 for the pair. I even had to take additional projects at work in order not to make ends meet after the purchase (I'm currently working with the great guys from https://isaccurate.com/financial-translation-services). You know, I haven't regretted that decision. Though I had extra work and paid a high price, I can hear well and feel great when wearing my aids. In most cases, people even don't notice them. By the way, it is much better to play the uke with them, though I still prefer taking them out. Maybe I just got used to playing without them.

Last edited:
At first my hearing aids seemed to over amplify the high tones making my ukulele sound harsh. It seemed to be better without the hearing aids. Attenuating the highs with the iPhone app helped at first but now I use the original settings. My guess is that my high frequency hearing loss developed so slowly, I was somewhat overwhelmed when I starting hearing all the "highs" again. Low G helped during the re-acclimatization period.

​I also have moderate hearing loss and wear hearing aids. I know that many people don't want to wear hearing aids, but I found ones that make me feel confident when wearing them (thanks to the hearing aids staten island clinic, they really helped me to make the choice). Of course, I had to get used to them, but now I wear them all the time except for the night) and play the uke also with them.

Last edited:
when i wear mine and play the uke, i get ghost tones and weird harmonics. i can listen to others fine, but not my own instrument.

I first tried some 4000$ aids programmable from the mobile via bluetooth and with music programs.

They help when people are speaking low but not with music. I got some strange modulations, as if the aid software was trying to compress or regulate the sound. Some frequencies like A were worse than others.

They even changed the bip tone from my microwave into a wallow instead of a constant tone. I also found them to amplfy the higher tones to much. It makes a ukulele or mandolin sound tinny and amplifies noise that is mostly high frequencies.
On top of that they would jump back to default program, if I went out of range of the bluetooth!! And they were only rechargeable(after around 6-8 hours use) which is irritating if away from the house.

I then got the cheapest ones at 900$ and they work totally as well on speech and a bit better at music, but still makes strange sounds so I never use them for playing.

AND they cost exactly the maximum amount that I can get refunded from the state :) And use free batteries, that will last 3-4 times longer than the rechargeables, and these aids can be turned of for preserving battry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom