NUD: Aklo Bamboo

I received the Jockomo black pearl fret stickers and just finished applying them. It's ready to go out in public with the black and bamboo motif. The hole punch worked out very well, took a little care to remove the small circles from the backing, but Bill' suggestion of using an X-Acto™ knife really helped. The 2mm and 4mm punches fit perfectly. I also added black ball ends, which makes it very easy to replace the strings.

Aklot black parts.jpg

Looks really classy. I like it a lot.

I received the Jockomo black pearl fret stickers and just finished applying them. It's ready to go out in public with the black and bamboo motif. The hole punch worked out very well, took a little care to remove the small circles from the backing, but Bill's suggestion of using an X-Acto™ knife really helped. The 2mm and 4mm punches fit perfectly. I also added black ball ends, which makes it very easy to replace the strings.

That's a big improvement. I have my black dots, but I haven't put them on yet. I'm not sure about the nut and saddle. The nut is quite a bit larger than the original, and the original saddle is compensated. Where did you get those black beads?

That's a big improvement. I have my black dots, but I haven't put them on yet. I'm not sure about the nut and saddle. The nut is quite a bit larger than the original, and the original saddle is compensated. Where did you get those black beads?

The nut and saddle fit the space perfectly, all I needed to do was sand the bottom of each to lower the action. The intonation is pretty good. I bought the beads at Joann Fabric and Craft Store near me, they came on 4 strings with about 20 beads on each for around $5.

What's the verdict on the volume and tone of these, compared to similar priced import tenors, or even tenor Flukes?

They finally got back in the concert size, but unfortunately it's not a soprano. I'm trying to get used to one as a playing size. I've been playing concert, but that cheap soprano I have seems to work with my hands really well.
I like everyone's ideas with the redotting.

The Tenor sized one in the Amazon listing had "Designed by Aklot" written on the top by the lower right bout. (Looks hideous.) But not on the cutaway version or the concert (23").

I hope that was dropped on on the ones they currently sell.

The Tenor sized one in the Amazon listing had "Designed by Aklot" written on the top by the lower right bout. (Looks hideous.) But not on the cutaway version or the concert (23").

I hope that was dropped on on the ones they currently sell.

It's still on the old stock of tenors, for sure. But it doesn't look at bad in person as it does on a photo. Still not a fan.

I noticed Kala is carrying bamboo ukuleles that look to be in every way these Aklots. I wonder if Aklot/Kmise is one of the companies that builds for Kala?

.....I wonder if Aklot/Kmise is one of the companies that builds for Kala?

It's likely that Kala, Aklot and Kmise all buy from the same Chinese factory, with same specs for that bamboo model uke.

Who's in charge, the manufacturer, or the brand? Probably doesn't matter, unless the headstock logo matters to you. More choices for the buyer!

Last edited:
It's still on the old stock of tenors, for sure. But it doesn't look at bad in person as it does on a photo.

I bet it wouldn't be too difficult to modify or cover that writing. I thought of putting a graphic of a bamboo plant on mine, but I probably won't.

Top Bottom