string tension...did i damage my uke ?

Tfdx

Reaction score
Hi All,

last night I decided to try a low g tuning on my kamaka. Not knowing that a low g is tuned to 196 MHz, I tuned it to a normal hi g tuning of 392 mhz. The string popped off the tuner, I realize now I had tuned it obviously to the wrong MHz due to inexperience and ignorance.. would this have damaged the neck? I have been nervous ,since it is a expensive kamaka.....

No damage except to the string and your nerves. That’s pretty much a rite of passage!

Hi All,

last night I decided to try a low g tuning on my kamaka. Not knowing that a low g is tuned to 196 MHz, I tuned it to a normal hi g tuning of 392 mhz. The string popped off the tuner, I realize now I had tuned it obviously to the wrong MHz due to inexperience and ignorance.. would this have damaged the neck? I have been nervous ,since it is a expensive kamaka.....

thanks for your replies!!!

Thanks for sharing, i have a low g set on the way and would no doubt have done exactly the same thing. I will check out my tuner today in preparation.

If your G-string sounds like it is getting higher in sound than your C-string as you are tuning, then you are headed towards a High-G. If it sounds lower as you tune, you are still in Low-G territory. Assuming your C-string is close to being in tune.

Your ear will quickly alert you.

And as Arcy indicated, almost all of us have done it at one time or another. Shouldn't have hurt your uke. Certainly not the integrity of the neck or top or bridge. At worst, you may have gotten a sting on your hand or arm and a small welt. (Yep, been there, done that. On my 8-string and on a Pono. Both tenors.)

Fretting low g string at fifth fret is same as 3rd string C.

Some tuners do not differentiate between octaves, even when on the ukulele specific setting. It happens to a lot of us. Don't worry about it.

Top Bottom