New Custom Pineapple Sunday from Alvin "Pops KoAloha" Okami

efiscella

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I had posted this for sale just a few days before Christmas. Probably not the best time to post, so I am putting this out again for a second look, and maybe a first look for anyone who missed it the last time. If anyone was ever interested in a custom, collectible, made by Pops Pineapple Sunday-- you can't beat this for the price. It comes with a KoAloha hard case and free shipping (CONUS). It is a one of a kind original and sure to be a collector's item.

Here is part of the original post:

Price drop for UUMarketplace to $2000.00 includes KoAloha Hard Case and Free Shipping CONUS

Click image for larger version.

D95DC068-FBFB-4881-A5C1-FD8D71E68760_1_201_a.jpg24F084B5-DA94-404D-9A75-40971CF7DE79_1_201_a.jpgC253157C-2D16-4141-BD0E-067E5BF16737_1_201_a.jpg6E04E151-9649-4B52-A008-C4C24918473A_1_201_a.jpgE91F4C62-CFB4-4395-83FA-C55DD8F445FD_1_201_a.jpg

See the Album here for more pics, and larger pics
https://flic.kr/s/aHsmK5Horv

This is a prototype that is brand new. As a Prototype, Pops wanted to make sure that even though painted, it carried the same sound that his Pineapple Sundays are known for. I have come to learn that Pops will never release a ukulele unless he is completely happy with the tone. Here is what he wrote to me after shipping the ukulele to me:

"The paint that Moses uses is acrylic based and it does not affect the sound at all. In fact, when you receive the ukulele, please play it and you will see that what I have just said is absolutely true. Even with coats of our varnish, the sound remains crystal clear, loud, beautiful and sustains for a while without diminishing rapidly as most ukuleles do. I believe that you're going to love it!"

I have compared the sound of this pineapple sunday to two that I own (a Koa/w spruce top, and all Koa) and what Pops says about the sound is true. This Pineapple Sunday has a unique sound that is loud and clear, yet has more mid-range tones. This ukulele is a joy to play.

Here are the details about the ukulele.

1. The basic design is derived from Pops original Pineapple Sunday that was introduced about 15 years ago. This original design came with a fully debossed grid that mimicked the natural grid on a real pineapple. It became the most popular design and orders became too much for Pops alone to accommodate so the decision was made to retire production indefinitely. The new approach utilizing the same body shape of the original but having an incredibly gifted artist paint the face with artwork was a unique approach to re-introduce the Pineapple Sunday with a totally new look. This new concept PIneapple Sunday is being showcased individually as Pops and his artist, Moses Cao, collaborates to create masterpieces of art fused with a masterpiece ukulele called Pops, One of A Kind PIne". A befitting phrase that would capture the essence of this collaborative work is "A Masterpiece of Musart"

2. Beneath the painted face lies the best tonewood in the world. Namely, Engelman Spruce. The sides are select koa wood The back is also select koa wood with an emphasis on beautifully figured grain that stands out all by itself.

3. The neck is sapele mahogany and helps to produce added volume for the instrument.

4. The fretboard is ebony with fret markers that have replaced paua abalone dots. The markers are now called "fret bands". The fret band wood is zebra wood and adds a tasteful, classy, elegant and original approach to the standard pearl/abalone dots found on the majority of ukulele fretboards.

5. The bridge is ebony with zebra wood ornamentation that echoes the zebra wood fret bands on the fretboard.

6. The headstock has been modified from the KoAloha Crown profile to represent the leaves of the pineapple. The KoAloha logo has also been abandoned in favor of a colored miniature pineapple affixed on the center of the headstock.

7. The tuners are Grover (Black Nickel) Geared tuners.

Last edited:
Top Bottom