KM Ukuleles Boatpaddle Soprano - REVIEW

bazmaz

Reaction score
Interesting, but expected more interest for a uke from someone who I think is one of the most promising amateur builders in the UK. Ho hum.

Interesting, but expected more interest for a uke from someone who I think is one of the most promising amateur builders in the UK. Ho hum.

Looks like a beautiful and fun instrument. And the price seems reasonable too, certainly for a hand made uke. But I guess a lot of us are on the wrong side of the pond.

I quite like the KM soprano you reviewed, Baz (especially since I’m in the market for a nice soprano uke). Unfortunately, I live on the wrong side of the pond (as Besley put it) to pursue this one. While there may not have been a big response from the UU crowd on the Forum, I’m quite sure your review will have sparked some interest in KM Ukuleles. Either way, thanks for what you do. It matters, and is much appreciated by many.

Jan

I believe he does (and has) shipped ukuleles to the USA.

I love the quirkiness of the boatpaddle uke, similar to Magic Fluke ukes, for example. At that price, I would've probably already ordered one if I could get them off the peg, so to speak. Or maybe I can, I don't know, but the website for KM ukuleles really does not make that clear at all. It seems to me as if the website hasn't been update for quite some time (with the exception of this review which was posted there also). There's even a post from about a year ago that Kevin has stopped taking commissions without any update. I think that keeping the website better updated would increase the interest for these ukes.

Nice review Baz. I was interested. Immediately Googled them. I’m not on Facebook and I found it difficult to even pull up their site ion my IPad. I’d be interested in know price and specs on tenor. I have a tenor Fluke and always thought one of Pete’s wooden versions would be cool. Great and a new fellow is building and if I could get on his site and get more info, who knows. I also live in Canada so “wrong side of pond” as said above, but, that being said, website likely needs updating. Not everyone is on Facebook. I find Facebook a huge waste of time. I could never get into it. So, point is in this on line, drop ship world, links, product and contact has to be easy or we forget, as there is so much info out there.

Wishing KM Ukuleles all the best and would like an easy site to visit with up to date info that is accessible on my IPad or android phone.

Cheers

I think that like many builders, websites are not necessarily their forte! (eg - Ken Timms doesn't have one at all and is notoriously difficult to contact). Can confirm though, having just met the Kevin in person - he IS building and will take orders. Just need to email him to talk specs.

His pricing isn't on the website as it depends entirely what you specify. Can confirm though, as it says in the review, that the soprano boatpaddles start at £275 with a more basic wood (something like Sapele).

I think that like many builders, websites are not necessarily their forte! (eg - Ken Timms doesn't have one at all and is notoriously difficult to contact). Can confirm though, having just met the Kevin in person - he IS building and will take orders. Just need to email him to talk specs.

It's not really about having the fanciest website or anything like that. For what it is, the KM ukulele site is fine. It's infinitely more important to have information on your site up to date and able to be found easily. It's far from optimal learning that info on a third-party website, although I do greatly appreciate you giving it.

I went back to your site BAZ and used that link and KM site came up and worked fine. I emailed for pricing today. His site does show a Makore tenor which I think is what Pete called them so got idea. Only thing I would change if I were KM is more info. I guess a work in progress and what you said, perhaps net site isn’t biggest priority or his forte. Thanks for posts.

I have taken note of all the comments here.
as it stands, the website I have only shows items that I have built. almost all of them are sold.
the site is not usually a sales page.

I only build in small quantities and at present don't take orders.
the current worldwide health crisis also make building time an issue, but I am still building

The best place to find out if I have anything available is by following me on my Facebook page :
https://www.facebook.com/kmukuleles/

For interest... THIS Boatpaddle IS available for sale!!

I DO ship internationally. I just have to be aware of the CITES regulations and the cost of insured postage.
IF you are prepared to pay these prices, I am prepared to send!!!

thanks guys

KEV

Fair comment - It does get me down when people assume private builders exist like big factories do... they don't!

Top Bottom