Season 418: The Way We Were

I went back and looked at week 79. Ah the memories...
Back then, I covered Bob Seger's Against the Wiind, a song where the man sings of his love, Jenny.
Now, I'm courting a girl by the same name. COvering another Bob Seger tune seemed appropriate.
Heck, it's always appropriate to cover Bob Seger.

Thanks for hosting Ylle! I'm joining Jon here on this Darrell Scott song; "With a Memory Like Mine" I really dig Jon's vocal performance on this one! Cheers~

A country hit for George Strait from 1982.

lyrics for Ylle:

Nickels and dimes memories and wine
She's on his mind once again
The same old stool the same old fool
Played by the rules but didn't win
There's an old love in his heart that he can't lose
He tried forgetting but he knows that it's no use

He's got a fool hearted memory
It won't let him see that she walked out the door
He's got a fool hearted memory he sits patiently
Here every night so it can fool him more

She was his girl his only world
That string of pearls that slipped away
A thousand dimes a thousand times
He doesn't mind what they say
He fills the jukebox then plays that same old song
He fills his glass and then he turns her memory on

Last edited:
This song brings me wonderful memories to a fantastic Travesty Duo, Mary & Gordy, who where very famous in the 80s in Germany.
I hope, my translation is good enough to understand the meaning of this little song. If not I would be thankful for translation help.
Best greetings from Bavaria. :)

I'm not sure how far around the world The Wombles went, but for any Seasonistas who are totally in the dark...The Wombles was an animated children's show in the 1970s, about an extended family of furry creatures. Their purpose in life was collecting up the rubbish on Wimbledon Common, a park in London. When the theme tune (The Wombling Song) was a hit, its producer, Mike Batt, decided to go all out and produced a series of hit singles, allegedly by the creatures themselves. This is one of them.

Hello again, Ylle! When my boys were little, in addition to reading them bedtime stories, they always had their "moon" songs ... namely, "By the Light of the Silvery Moon" and "Shine on Harvest Moon", without which they could not possibly go to sleep - a fond memory for this week. I found a brilliant version of "Shine on Harvest Moon" by Leon Redbone (who has become my new hero) and there is also a lovely version by Laurel and Hardy. The hat and sunglasses are worn in homage to Mr. Redbone.

I dated an Angie back in 1976/77 so this is a personal memory song for me, I met her at her sister's (a work colleague) wedding reception. I remember the bride wandering up to me and casually saying "why don't you ask my sister for a dance". Anyway, that first dance was to Jungle Rock by Hank Mizell, I'm fairly certain I've never danced to it again since.

It's Thursday and the playlist is up to date again. I really appreciate that you have brought so fine and memorable songs to this Season. It's another moving, informative and entertaining week in the Seasons. Thank you and keep on playing!

A second Yazuke collaboration for the season from me and Lynda (bird’s eye view of my ukulele). :)

Thanks again for hosting Ylle! Here's a Blaze Foley song "Clay Pigeons" done in collaboration with Jon Duncan. An effort not to forget what a fine songwriter Blaze was, and it also mentions the word memories.

A song by Scotsman Eric Bogle... remembering days gone by and a first love the belle of Broughton.

Cheers for hosting this one Ylle. A shorty from me and one I'm surprised hasn't been done yet as its an old fave around the uke club circuit song books ...……

(above: myth informed: I thought about this one).

Oh 1963!

Didn't think I'd have time for a second this week. But then the song I wrote for a "Skirmish" at FAWM (see description on YouTube) fitted perfectly with this Season's theme.

So, here I go, thinking back to the glory days of soul!

Hope you all enjoy:

Delightful. Can't comment on your YouTube channel. I usually prefer that as it can lead to conversations that would clog the Season pages.

A song presented by Peggy March and also by Gus Backus in 1967. Both are from the USA and were successful artists in Germany. Backus also did an english version, don't know if Peggy March too.

Pictures from Heidelberg. After WW-II the town was the base for american soldiers, which led to some publicity of Heidelberg in the US (and now too for half of Asia). As my american cousin says: Good for some ABC tours (Another Bloody Castle/Church, as there are ten thousands of them in Europe :rolleyes:).

Last edited:
If you look closely, you'll see I've got blue streaks in my hair. I did that specifically because I was goign to meet wtih someone of former authority - and the funky color made a statement about the end of that era. It matches that of the company logo, and well.. long story.

Top Bottom