Martin ukulele on Antiques Roadshow

RafterGirl

Reaction score
I love watching Antiques Roadshow on my local PBS station. Old “stuff” fascinates me. About 20 years ago the show came to Salt Lake City, and my mom & I got tickets and went to the show. We brought a few of our family keepsakes to be appraised. Our items weren’t worth a lot, but we had a wonderful time learning about them. We also loved meeting the appraisers that we saw on TV each week. It was great fun.

On tonight’s show, a gentleman brought it a ukulele that had belonged to his father, who was a vaudeville performer. The ukulele had been in a closet, not played, with the old strings still on it. 1920-1930 Martin CK-3 soprano in excellent condition. No cracks or repairs. It looked awesome. The appraiser valued it at $3500.

How wonderful to see this beautiful uke on one of my favorite shows.

Two favorites- ukes and Antiques Roadshow!! Nice when they cross paths!

I enjoy the show from time to time. Mostly because of the history that goes with each item.

Many antique dealers and buyers get frustrated with the expectations the show has created over the value of items. And the somewhat generous appraisals they give items.

Still fun though.

I was curious, so I went on Reverb to see the value of a 1920's era Martin 3K soprano. There's one for sale in very similar condition as the one on the show, and it has a sale price of $3500, same as the appraisal on ARS. The appraiser did say that 10-15 years ago, it would have been worth more, as these vintage Martins were just getting popular and coming out of people's closets and attics at that time.

When I see these gems, I'm sad that they have been stuck away somewhere and not played. Hopefully the one on the show will get the playing time and love it deserves now.

I liked that the appraiser on the show talked about the different styles of Martins (0,1,2,3,5) and what make each one different. I was in my local acoustic guitar/ukulele shop last year when a fellow brought in an old beat up ukulele case. I was about to leave the shop, but stayed to see what he had. A wonderful vintage Martin. His grandmother had played it as a young woman & had given it to him. Not a style 3, but still, a great old beauty in wonderful condition.

"His grandmother had played it as a young woman & had given it to him. Not a style 3, but still, a great old beauty in wonderful condition"

-----yes, but what was the uke like?:rolleyes:

John Colter

20 some years ago I had a Style 1M that was so perfect I was afraid to play it for fear of nail marks on the upper bout. Traded it away for either a Tiki Kamaka Concert or a Frisco Uke. Lots of Trading in those days.

Another wonderful old ukulele on ARS tonight. 1930’s Kamaka pineapple. Appraised at $1200. Looked to be in good condition. The appraiser was from Gryphon Strings, Palto Aalto, CA

Two vintage ukes on Antiques Roadshow in one week. Awesome.

Top Bottom