Another “Which one to buy”

Dennis82

Reaction score
Im completly new in this Word. Long story short the right side of my body (hand and foot) are slightly disabled and i want to see if its possible to train my right hand to be a little better so i don’t even know if its possible but i want to try to learn playing the ukulele. I don’t wan’t a cheap one but on the other side i also dont want a ukulele that is to expensive i have looked at these ukuleles

Brunswick BU4C Concert

Makala mk-c

Kala ka-c

Which one is the Best in that Price range? :)

Yes, but Makala is the lower level line. Nothing wrong with Kala if you buy from a dealer that does a proper setup. Where are you located?

What about the setup? There is very few people playing ukulele in Denmark and i don’t Think the store’s that sell Them is avalible to set Them up.

Don’t know if i Will ever find one ukulele there is so Many oppinions what is the Best starter ukulele. The one Think i know is that i want a Concert and the Prize range is about 150$ :)

Thomann is a decent retailer (one of the largest in Europe, in fact) but they don't do setups at all, as far as I know. They just focus on selling as many instruments and accessories as they can. It's usually safe to buy a more expensive ukulele from sites like these since often the manufacturer already has put quite a bit of effort on the playability of the uke, but since you're looking for a cheaper beginners instrument I would personally avoid large music stores like these.

There are a few very good ukulele speciality stores in the EU. Unfortunately, most of them are in the UK which is fine for now but after the brexit kerfuffle coming to an end after this year, you will be paying import costs. But for now, you still can order without extra costs other than shipping costs of course. My personal favourite is the Southern Ukulele Store (https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/). I've ordered a couple of ukes from them and they have been top notch. Nice bunch of lads as well. Other good ones are World of Ukes (https://worldofukes.co.uk/) and The Uke Room (https://theukeroom.com/). There's a few excellent German uke shops as well but they mostly focus on more expensive ukes.

Since you listed only concert ukuleles, I assume you exclusively want to try that scale. I have no idea about the Brunswick but you can find that one at the Southern Ukulele Store so I assume it'll be a decent beginner's uke. They'll undoubtedly do a good setup. You can also find the Kala there, although in gloss. Other decent brands you can find in these stores are, e.g., Baton Rouge and Ohana. If you can splurge just a little bit, you can find the Kiwaya KCU-1 at around £140. Kiwaya make fantastic ukes even at the lower end. If you can afford it, that's the one I would personally recommend. The Islander that someone else mentioned is supposedly a good brand as well at that same price range.

Actually, can you clarify if you're only looking for a concert? And it would also be helpful to know your budget.

Thomann is a decent retailer (one of the largest in Europe, in fact) but they don't do setups at all, as far as I know. They just focus on selling as many instruments and accessories as they can. It's usually safe to buy a more expensive ukulele from sites like these since often the manufacturer already has put quite a bit of effort on the playability of the uke, but since you're looking for a cheaper beginners instrument I would personally avoid large music stores like these.

There are a few very good ukulele speciality stores in the EU. Unfortunately, most of them are in the UK which is fine for now but after the brexit kerfuffle coming to an end after this year, you will be paying import costs. But for now, you still can order without extra costs other than shipping costs of course. My personal favourite is the Southern Ukulele Store (https://www.southernukulelestore.co.uk/). I've ordered a couple of ukes from them and they have been top notch. Nice bunch of lads as well. Other good ones are World of Ukes (https://worldofukes.co.uk/) and The Uke Room (https://theukeroom.com/). There's a few excellent German uke shops as well but they mostly focus on more expensive ukes.

Since you listed only concert ukuleles, I assume you exclusively want to try that scale. I have no idea about the Brunswick but you can find that one at the Southern Ukulele Store so I assume it'll be a decent beginner's uke. They'll undoubtedly do a good setup. You can also find the Kala there, although in gloss. Other decent brands you can find in these stores are, e.g., Baton Rouge and Ohana. If you can splurge just a little bit, you can find the Kiwaya KCU-1 at around £140. Kiwaya make fantastic ukes even at the lower end. If you can afford it, that's the one I would personally recommend. The Islander that someone else mentioned is supposedly a good brand as well at that same price range.

Actually, can you clarify if you're only looking for a concert? And it would also be helpful to know your budget.

Thank you for the great answer :) i just Think that a concert has a great size thats why im looking at that size :D my budget is between 100-150£ i don’t know if the bigger model is better or? Bigger means more expensive or?

Yes, generally larger ukes are more expensive, within the same model of course. Despite what some people might claim, however, larger doesn't automatically mean better. Which size fits you depends purely on your preference. The best thing is always to try before you buy but of course that's difficult if you don't have many music stores near you that stock ukes. With that in mind, concert is often a good starting point for beginners if you're not really sure about your preference since it's the middle one of the three most popular sizes. I started with a concert myself but quickly decided to switch mostly to sopranos as I like the sound and size of them, I don't need that much space between the frets, and they also suit the kind of music I play.

Last edited:
Yes, generally larger ukes are more expensive, within the same model of course. Despite what some people might claim, however, larger doesn't automatically mean better. Which size fits you depends purely on your preference. The best thing is always to try before you buy but of course that's difficult if you don't have many music stores near you that stock ukes. With that in mind, concert is often a good starting point for beginners if you're not really sure about your preference since it's the middle one of the three most popular sizes. I started with a concert myself but quickly decided to switch mostly to sopranos as I like the sound and size of them, I don't need that much space between the frets, and they also suit the kind of music I play.

I picked the Concert because i have Thick and not so long fingers. because of my finger lenghts i Think that a Tenor Will be to Big.

The concert size is a great place to start, and you may finish there, too. The Kala models are good. Kiwaya are very good and are already set up perfectly.

The concert size is a great place to start, and you may finish there, too. The Kala models are good. Kiwaya are very good and are already set up perfectly.

It’s so hard to find out what to buy :) all people are saying good things about diffrents ukes. It got me confused :D

It’s so hard to find out what to buy :) all people are saying good things about diffrents ukes. It got me confused :D
It’s getting much easier when you have 15+ ukes :) don’t expect to get a full setup on a low-end factory uke. Polishing frets and adjusting string action is an easy job to do yourself.

Did a quick google, Randers seems to only have one store with ukuleles, "Pro Musik APS", Fzone soprano only. You'll probably have to go to Aarhus to find a concert ukulele to try out. Sorry, can't help much!

Top Bottom