Another “Which one to buy”

Dennis, Have you found the gotaukulele.com website yet? It's run by Barry Maz and is aimed specifically at beginners. He offers tips about selecting and buying ukes and playing. (His books are great for a new player.) And he has a lot of unbiased ukulele reviews on his site that are followed by new and experienced players alike. He also lists a few sellers in Europe and elsewhere on his site.

He did an article about buying online and quality control in January.

Ukulele performer & teacher James Hill recommends that you should get a ukulele that fits in the crook of your arm and your hand naturally reaches the fretboard above the soundhole where you will be doing most of your strumming.

Because of your situation, I think you are probably correct about the concert size. Not too big to have to stretch out your fingers to play. Not so small as to cramp your hands. I also think that it will be critical that you buy from a seller that can do a low setup aimed at making it as easy as possible to play. Especially barre chords. You may want to ask for it to be restrung with medium or low tension fluorocarbon strings such as Living Waters. Which are more bendable than Nylon strings. And easier on your hands. Once you build up you strength and dexterity, you can restring using Nylons if you prefer their sound.

I'm afraid I am not familiar the ukuleles you listed. I only play tenor scale. You may want to consider the neck shape. See if reviewers (not the reviews on the dealer site listings) mention the comfort of the neck for playing. Most likely you don't want a really round shape or one that is too flat.

The Kala should tick most of the boxes. Give you decent sound and playability in your price range.

Best of luck. I hope your exploration helps you and gives much enjoyment as well.

Hello, Dennis! I have a couple of Kalas (well, actually, I think ... three!) I would definitely recommend a Kala over the other alternatives. (I have just read Kenn's very helpful advice above. I think that Kalas have a pretty low setup anyway and the Living Water fluorocarbon strings are great ... the Kalas I have came fitted with Aquilas, which can be a bit unyielding compared to the fluorocarbons.) I wish you good luck with your acquisition and playing.

Last edited:
As you are in Denmark, why not visit Akustikken in Århus, Danguitar i Grenå, and Orkestergraven in Århus, they have a lot of ukuleles and probably also someone who can demonstrate it for you. Maybe just call them beforehand and make an appointment.

There are many in dba.dk. Why not try a cheap one, just to see if it's possible to learn?

PS: One good thing about online shops, such as Thomann and others is that, being in the EU they all conform to the law that you can return anything within 14 days, no questions asked and Thomann will even arrange the return and I think it's free of charge but check that.

PPS: If you come to Odense, you can try one of mine, I have different sizes.

If you can use your thumb, there is a thumbpick(which I have) which is the only thumbpick I know that can be used for strumming both up and down. A thumbpick is a plektrum fixed on your thumb. Kodiak thumbpick

851ffe0f60a7365d5edafe2858d1e7fd.jpg

Last edited:
+1 Poul, Århus seems to have far more ukes available. Danguitar seems to be a website only?

No all 3 of the shops are both physical and online.

Danguitar has a very big demo room and you can buy directly. They will even go out to the warehouse and fetch an instrument you have seen online, if it's not in the demo room.

I bought a parlor guitar but found a slight problem with the finish and they got 3 guitars out from the warehouse, so we could find the best.

Last edited:
As you are in Denmark, why not visit Akustikken in Århus, Danguitar i Grenå, and Orkestergraven in Århus, they have a lot of ukuleles and probably also someone who can demonstrate it for you. Maybe just call them beforehand and make an appointment.

There are many in dba.dk. Why not try a cheap one, just to see if it's possible to learn?

PS: One good thing about online shops, such as Thomann and others is that, being in the EU they all conform to the law that you can return anything within 14 days, no questions asked and Thomann will even arrange the return and I think it's free of charge but check that.

PPS: If you come to Odense, you can try one of mine, I have different sizes.

If you can use your thumb, there is a thumbpick(which I have) which is the only thumbpick I know that can be used for strumming both up and down. A thumbpick is a plektrum fixed on your thumb. Kodiak thumbpick

View attachment 125371

Thank you so much Poul. I don’t know the two Music stores in Aarhus i Will try to visit Them. Thanks again :D

Top Bottom