What’s Wrong with my uke? Soft dent spot on top?

Puglele

Reaction score
I just got this ukulele this week but didn’t to get around to play it. Today I found there is a dented spot on the upper right area on the soundboard. It doesn’t feel squishy or anything.
I never had any problem with other solid wood ukes. This is the second one I got from them and the first one had an issue with the neck tail separating from the body.
Hope the photo can capture the problem.
E29F6F50-79E0-496B-88E4-FB5C1039F290.jpg

Looks like a flaw in the finish to me (or if not - possibly a sanding flaw showing from before it was finished). Either way, I don't see it as structural or something to get worse. It is unsightly though and if you are not happy I would take it up with Mele for a return - failing that - it's certanly 'B Stock' and you should be entitled to a price cut in my view.

Depends if you want to live with it.

Looks like a flaw in the finish to me (or if not - possibly a sanding flaw showing from before it was finished). Either way, I don't see it as structural or something to get worse. It is unsightly though and if you are not happy I would take it up with Mele for a return - failing that - it's certanly 'B Stock' and you should be entitled to a price cut in my view.

Depends if you want to live with it.

Thanks Baz. It’s a great sounding uke but looks like it’s very high maintenance. I already sent back one; don’t want them to think I’m a tough customer.

Thanks Baz. It’s a great sounding uke but looks like it’s very high maintenance. I already sent back one; don’t want them to think I’m a tough customer.

Needs to be right though - you bought it - you need to be happy with it.

take a side shot with a straight edge to capture the indentation send it to Mele or whoever sold it to you. They have a reputation a to maintain, they should be glad to make things right.

Perhaps the wood wasn't properly dried and is now working underneath the finish? Have you tried to look or touch from the inside?

Even if you can live with it, consider now how it would look to potential buyers if you need to sell it in the future. The onus is on the manufacturer (or seller) only for a limited time. Sort it out while you can.

Yeah thanks guys. Based on my experience with the first one I sent back, they seem so hesitated to exchange. The sound is still good but I am concerned it will get worse.

Let them know you have asked for and gotten advise here. I don't think they want exposure, even if you haven't.

Top Bottom