All solid mahogany baritone under $500 -- what's good in 2020?

SoCal

Reaction score
I know there are other posts on this, but manufacturers revise their instruments, so I'm staring a new thread. I'm in the market for a solid mahogany baritone under $500. I know Pono makes a fine instrument, but I've never liked the feel that much for whatever reason. I'm considering Kala, Ohana, Mainland and whatever else any of your recommend.

None of the stores near me seem stock solid mahogany baritones, so I can't really go try one.

Thanks in advance.

The Kremona Mari is pretty close to the $500 mark and is a sweet sounding 'ukulele. I was lucky and snagged one for $300 (Amazon Warehouse deal). I wrote a review of the Mari with plenty of images and sound samples:

https://fraryguitar.com/kremona_mari.htm

Thanks. Unfortunately, I checked their website, and it looks as though they don't currently make a baritone. Otherwise, they look nice.

If it were me, I'd likely go with an Ohana, I already have 3 of their solid mahogany ukes in different sizes, (long neck soprano, giraffe neck soprano, long neck concert), so one of their baritones would fit in well. :music:

Marcy was one of the presenters at a uke festival in N.C. back in October and she played her Ohana. I have two Ohana mahogany sopranos. Really love the way they sound. Have fun!

I would have recommended the Kala, but with the cutaway and on board electronics for $359.00 that's a heck of a deal! Look forward to hearing what you think of it ~

Ooh, nice! It looks like the body depth is a bit more shallow than normal? I like that. It makes it a bit more natural feeling to me. That's one of the reasons I went with my Cordoba (not mahogany), but I'll have to consider Ohana if I'm in the market for a baritone again.

I'm looking forward to checking it out. The 19.5" scale (a bit smaller) sounds intriguing, too. Which wood choice did you get on the Cordoba, and do you like it?

Hendulele and Mezcalero, thanks for the comments. I'll try to write a NUD review after I receive it. I was also interested in the Kala and still may get one of their baritones one day. I had a Kala mahogany soprano that I thought was great (just a bit small for me).

I'm looking forward to checking it out. The 19.5" scale (a bit smaller) sounds intriguing, too. Which wood choice did you get on the Cordoba, and do you like it?

I didn't see the scale size, I'm liking it even more now. I went for a cedar top 24B as I was going for sort of a classical guitar sound - or at least that was my logic. I'm quite happy with it for sound and playability, and the spalted maple gives it a nice look. But I've had 3 Ohanas (sopranos/sopranino) and I wouldn't hesitate to get another - still have my SK-38.

Top Bottom