Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All solid mahogany baritone under $500 -- what's good in 2020?

Default All solid mahogany baritone under $500 -- what's good in 2020?

I know there are other posts on this, but manufacturers revise their instruments, so I'm staring a new thread. I'm in the market for a solid mahogany baritone under $500. I know Pono makes a fine instrument, but I've never liked the feel that much for whatever reason. I'm considering Kala, Ohana, Mainland and whatever else any of your recommend.

None of the stores near me seem stock solid mahogany baritones, so I can't really go try one.

Thanks in advance.
    Beansprout 4 String Banjo
    Beansprout Concert Banjo Uke
    Beltona concert resonator
    Tyde concert learner uke
    Stuart Wailing nickel/brass concert
    Gold Tone Little Gem concert banjolele
    Gold Tone BUC concert banjolele
    Kmise Baritone

The Kremona Mari is pretty close to the $500 mark and is a sweet sounding 'ukulele. I was lucky and snagged one for $300 (Amazon Warehouse deal). I wrote a review of the Mari with plenty of images and sound samples:

https://fraryguitar.com/kremona_mari.htm

Or buy used. Most are as good as new.

Quote Originally Posted by gochugogi View Post
    The Kremona Mari is pretty close to the $500 mark and is a sweet sounding 'ukulele. I was lucky and snagged one for $300 (Amazon Warehouse deal). I wrote a review of the Mari with plenty of images and sound samples:

https://fraryguitar.com/kremona_mari.htm
    Thanks. Unfortunately, I checked their website, and it looks as though they don't currently make a baritone. Otherwise, they look nice.
    Tyde concert learner uke
    Kmise Baritone

Haha, guess I missed the word "baritone"!

If it were me, I'd likely go with an Ohana, I already have 3 of their solid mahogany ukes in different sizes, (long neck soprano, giraffe neck soprano, long neck concert), so one of their baritones would fit in well.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    If it were me, I'd likely go with an Ohana, I already have 3 of their solid mahogany ukes in different sizes, (long neck soprano, giraffe neck soprano, long neck concert), so one of their baritones would fit in well.
    I just pulled the trigger on this one: the Ohana Marcy Marxer Baritone. https://www.elderly.com/products/oha...le-with-pickup. Fingers crossed.
    Tyde concert learner uke
    Kmise Baritone

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on this one: the Ohana Marcy Marxer Baritone. https://www.elderly.com/products/oha...le-with-pickup. Fingers crossed.
    Ooh, nice! It looks like the body depth is a bit more shallow than normal? I like that. It makes it a bit more natural feeling to me. That's one of the reasons I went with my Cordoba (not mahogany), but I'll have to consider Ohana if I'm in the market for a baritone again.
    Glenn

Marcy was one of the presenters at a uke festival in N.C. back in October and she played her Ohana. I have two Ohana mahogany sopranos. Really love the way they sound. Have fun!
    SOPRANOS: • 1920s Gibson UKE-1 • 1930s Martin 2M • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ • Flea koa • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany • Famous FS-1
    CONCERTS: • Martin C1K • Enya Nova U (blue) • Ohana CK-50WG (solid cedar top) • Firefly maple banjolele • Makala MK-CE
    OBJETS D'ART: • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

I would have recommended the Kala, but with the cutaway and on board electronics for $359.00 that's a heck of a deal! Look forward to hearing what you think of it ~

Thread Information