Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What timber is this

Default What timber is this

It was advertised as Brazilian mahogany ..but I don’t think so. E5C4C9E1-2448-4286-A698-0BF44B834711 by Ken Timms, on Flickr
    This is a better pic.
    Last edited by Timbuck; 02-17-2020 at 07:54 AM.
    http://ukulele-innovation.tripod.com ebay i/d squarepeg_3000 Email timmsken@hotmail.com

If you can believe that moving images and sound, can fly through empty space across the universe and be seen and heard on a box in your living room ?.. then you can believe in anything.

I have had no experience with Brazilian mahogany, so I can't entirely discount that possibility, but the pictured sample looks very much like one of the many Asian 'mahoganies' or Merantis.

I'm certainly no expert Ken, but it looks like African Mahogany (Khaya) to me. I have some very similar which I bought as just "mahogany".

I have heaps of Brazilian mahogany and none of it would be that light a color except perhaps when it just came off the saw. Within a day it will start to oxidise to a brick red brown.

It is very difficult to just look at a picture of a piece of wood and identify it. That being said I think that yes, it looks a lot like a piece of Swietenia macrophylla also called Honduran mahogany or Brazilian mahogany. Below are some picture of some "Brazilian" mahogany.

honduran-mahogany1.jpg honduran-mahogany-sealed.jpg

I have some neck blanks that were advertised as American Mahogany, I asked about it to people more knowledgeable than myself. They said that was probably plantation grown stuff in Brazil. It does look kind of like what you have.

I think it's Khaya too, but not sure. Looks like it though, I've had it before and it's quite similar to your picture.

It looks like roughly finished African Mahogany to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    It looks like uke building timber.

Just as a suggestion and for some entertainment, can you find a way to get it DNA tested? .......
    Yeah, maybe that DNA testing service 23 and Tree!
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    It looks like uke building timber.

Just as a suggestion and for some entertainment, can you find a way to get it DNA tested? You can get human DNA tested for a relatively low price, will it work for wood? Maybe the DNA is all gone, but it would be an interesting activity to find out.
    Crikey, what a crackin' good idear!

Thread Information