Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intermittent buzzing A string at third fret

Quote Originally Posted by pdale View Post
    The smoothing of the board and refretting would be more costly than the uke is worth, so we agreed it was better to let it be my beater uke and start looking for a new one.
    Dale
    Smoothing the fretboard and refretting is not the way that I would necessarily recommend for fixing this instrument.
    This may be considered the BEST way to do it but yes, Its expensive. If the ONLY fault is one raised fret then you just need to break out a fret file and level the fret. It's not really that difficult. If there are other faults going on yet at this point its just the one fret that you've noticed then this is different.

I'd be willing to bet that the reason you couldn't see a problem with the neck is because there is no problem with the neck. My experience with "guitar techs" at guitar stores has been that they nearly always see something wrong with the neck. The possible reasons for that are many.

Quote Originally Posted by pdale View Post
    An update. Today I took my uke to a technician at a larger music store in the area (but much farther away!) and finally got a serious look at my fret concern. He could see that the fret was high, but indicated that it was the neck that was very slightly pooched up, rather than the fret. I think I saw it too but not really sure. It is very subtle. If it had not been pointed out, I never would have guessed. You can clearly see that the fret is higher though, which is a relief. Finally someone who didn't blame my playing. The smoothing of the board and refretting would be more costly than the uke is worth, so we agreed it was better to let it be my beater uke and start looking for a new one. It certainly is playable, so I am going to take my time deciding what I want to buy. That is going to be tough with no local stock to sit and play and compare. Mostly laminate in my area. I really struggle with buying without playing. Guess I am going to have to plan a road trip.

Thanks again to all!

Dale

If you are in Florida and looking for a new ukulele, is this place near you? http://www.theukuleleplace.com

Quote Originally Posted by Martinlover View Post
    If you are in Florida and looking for a new ukulele, is this place near you? http://www.theukuleleplace.com
    It's about an hour or two away and I would go, but their website seems to indicate irregular hours and best to call first. I'm sure I will make my way down there one of these days if they are open on a weekend day. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    I'd be willing to bet that the reason you couldn't see a problem with the neck is because there is no problem with the neck. My experience with "guitar techs" at guitar stores has been that they nearly always see something wrong with the neck. The possible reasons for that are many.

Maybe so, but the fret is still clearly high whether it's the neck or the fret. I do like the idea of taking the fret down a bit, but will wait til I have another uke to play before attempting that. Yes I do think it could get screwed up forever, and not willing to be uke-less. (Didn't he play for the Red Sox? )

Thread Information