Thread: Pono vs Ko’olau neck profile

Default Pono vs Ko’olau neck profile

I was wondering if anyone here can tell me if the Ko’olau necks have the same chunky profile that pono necks do.

Slim neck on my 2009 concert.
    Kamaka HF3, Tenor
    Martin S1, Soprano
    Ko'olau C1, Concert
    Flight TUS-35

Between three of us they have owned/own 5 Pono tenors and 3 Koolau tenors. The Koolau have a less chunky (shallower) neck profile.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

Similar round profile, a little less chunky. I find it very comfortable.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

The Ko'olau necks are generally on the thinner side, but they usually aren't as thin as those of the likes of contemporary Kanile'a. Mine is maybe 1.2-1.5 mm thicker than a Kanile'a neck at the midpoint between the nut and first fret. As far as profile, the Ko'olau sports a slightly flattened C-shape profile.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Thread Information