Capo for ukulele mod.

Planet Waves has a nice compact adjustable capo. I haven't tried it on a uke yet, but I've been using it on my bajo for a couple of years and it works really well and is small and light. I would avoid spring loaded capos. Get an adjustable one and tighten it just enough to stop the strings buzzing. The spring loaded ones press the strings right to the board and pull the instrument out of tune.

View attachment 125383 View attachment 125384

The best Uke capo by far.

Patrick, I am not sure what a "yoke style" capo is. Is it the elastic band that attaches to both ends of a cylinder type? Or the G7th ultra light capo?

Here's what I have, one is a guitar the other(middle) for my uke. Compared with the G7 capo. and the top view comparing the slimness of the bar compared to the G7. There's no interference playing next to it like there are with the others in the drawer.

Attachments

• IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 17
I rarely use a capo. I’ve tried the Kyser trigger and didn’t care for it. I do like the looks of the G7th and may give that a try. Right now I have a Planet Waves, (excellent capo) and a Shubb lightweight.

I’ve modified the Shubb based on what I did many years ago. On my Shubb guitar capo the rubber sleeve started to tear. I didn’t want to have to buy a new one, so I went down to an auto parts store and bought some thin black tubing and squeezed it onto the arm. It worked great.

The sleeve on the ukulele capo makes the aluminum arm sit a bit too high. With my decades old success in hand, I went out and got some 7/64” vacuum tubing and used that. It is a really tight fit, but it lowers the overall height just enough to where it is close enough to the height of the Planet Waves. And I like how the Shubb attaches better than the Planet Waves

John

Last edited:
Here's what I have, one is a guitar the other(middle) for my uke. Compared with the G7 capo. and the top view comparing the slimness of the bar compared to the G7. There's no interference playing next to it like there are with the others in the drawer.

Nice. I can see why you like those. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one. (One that isn't $150!)

That's not the G7th capo I think people are referring to - this one is _DSC0698.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Paige for my 12th string. It's fantastic. The rubber is made so it will press both the thin and thick strings down. It has a ratchet function, so you just press it into the strings and a release button, that will release all tension with one push. I haven't tried on a ukulele though.

A pencil stub and a rubber band works for me. Use a sturdy rubber band, you have to wrap it pretty tight. I hardly ever use a capo anyway.

Hehe, what's the fun in that? You can't use hours on end on the internet and discuss on a forum which pencil is best :D ;)

I almost never use a capo. The spring-loaded types I tried got in the way of my hand. This Planet Waves/D'Addario capo is unobtrusive it only takes a moment to attach and tighten, it doesn't have a spring to break and, as Jim said, it won't make your uke go sharp.

In considering the idea of the spring style going sharp, I looked around for a type like the D'Addario and found a banjo Victor Bronze Capo DUN_DCV-50F by Dunlop that has the screw more out of the way, so I ordered it.

Dunlop Victor banjo capo.jp2

Hehe, what's the fun in that? You can't use hours on end on the internet and discuss on a forum which pencil is best :D ;)

Clearly you've never been on an art forum. But of course it's been discussed as far back as Shakespeare: "2B, or not 2B, that is the question."

A pencil stub and a rubber band works for me. Use a sturdy rubber band, you have to wrap it pretty tight. I hardly ever use a capo anyway.

I have a dulcimer capo that I've been using for 30 some odd years. It's made of a chopstick and an elastic. I've had to replace the elastic a few times, but the chopstick is the same one I started using decades ago. One of my students gave me a store bought dulcimer capo, but I prefer the homemade one.

Dulcimer capo.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom