Klos All Carbon ukes now available on Kickstarter Campaign

besley

Reaction score
For anyone who wants a truly all-carbon carbon fiber uke, the Klos All Carbon Kickstarter Campaign just launched.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...249056021&mc_cid=6609865096&mc_eid=ae7e05edb1

Not quite the bargain the original version with the wood neck is, but this new version looks quite nice, with upscale nut, saddle, and tuners. And we saw here elsewhere that Baz should have a review of it coming soon.

I never know where your sensibilities lose to the passions/interests.

I know you already have the (wooden neck) Klos, so I'm not sure you would be able to justify another.

I love my new Klos tenor (more affordable with the Brazilian cherry fretboard). I hope they do really well with their all carbon fibre kickstarter project.
Their ukes are super well crafted and have terrific playability.

Hmm, interesting. I owned a Blackbird BTU all carbon fiber tenor ukulele and it was a phenomenal instrument with overtones not possible on all solid wood instruments. I’d just be disappointed if the Klos did not hold up to those standards for that much money.

If I was that much in the market on owning an all carbon fiber uke again I’d really consider tracking down a used Blackbird BTU. As much as the sound shined, that all composite uke beat the heck out of my fingers/hands and I could never really get used to tactile-wise how much resistance pushes back on you - it’s hard, harder then wood and you FEEL it with rigorous play. Great sound though, I suppose if you’re just a light strummer or soft finger picker you wouldn’t mind. Just my 2 dollars.. (inflation) ;)

PS: Buy an Outdoor ukulele if you truly want something bomb proof for outside. Fun fact just because it’s all carbon doesn’t mean they don’t still use glue to attach the bridge and black things left outside get HOT! Why I don’t still have one...

Last edited:
.....If I was that much in the market on owning an all carbon fiber uke again I’d really consider tracking down a used Blackbird BTU. As much as the sound shined, that all composite uke beat the heck out of my fingers/hands and I could never really get used to tactile-wise how much resistance pushes back on you - it’s hard, harder then wood and you FEEL it with rigorous play.......

Guess I don't understand what about the BTU was an issue? I haven't heard anyone in the carbon fiber guitar community complain that our CF guitars are too hard on our fingers, or anyone here complain about the hardness of their Farallons or Claras. Is this a fingering or strumming problem?

Coming soon on Got A Ukulele!

Guess I don't understand what about the BTU was an issue? I haven't heard anyone in the carbon fiber guitar community complain that our CF guitars are too hard on our fingers, or anyone here complain about the hardness of their Farallons or Claras. Is this a fingering or strumming problem?

I don't understand either. I had the Blackbird BTU that MacNichol sent on a road trip for a while back in the day. It was well built and sounded fine. I wasn't blown away by it but it was nice. I've also played on quite a few different carbon fiber guitars....It was no different than playing wooden instruments.

I champion the research and development they've put in to this all carbon fiber ukulele. From the video, it sounds pretty good too. But, am I the only one that thinks the very small headstock looks so disproportionate to the rest of the ukulele? It just looks odd to me.

I champion the research and development they've put in to this all carbon fiber ukulele. From the video, it sounds pretty good too. But, am I the only one that thinks the very small headstock looks so disproportionate to the rest of the ukulele? It just looks odd to me.

Yes I agree that the headstock could be a bit bigger. I've mentioned that to their marketing, but they feel most people like it, and it is part of their "travel" brand to keep things as short as possible.

Yes I agree that the headstock could be a bit bigger. I've mentioned that to their marketing, but they feel most people like it, and it is part of their "travel" brand to keep things as short as possible.

Well I am in the liking the headstock camp as are most of my friends who see my Klos uke for the first time. Not only does it look just plain cute but also it is quite distinctive.

One of the ideas of a CF instrument is that it is used for travelling. Do you think making the headstock bigger and harder to fit in a luggage rack is a good idea?

I think a 4% increase from 25" (the current size) to 26" (my Farallon's dimensions) would be tolerable.

Top Bottom