Building A Ukulele.

No experience with it, but it looks like a fun project.

WOnder if they have any sound samples on their website or FaceBook page with the instructions?

No experience with it, but it looks like a fun project.

WOnder if they have any sound samples on their website or FaceBook page with the instructions?

actually, a kid did a video review on Amazon. That kid could PLAY! And it sounded really good! Not just the music, but the general sound of the ukulele.

Tell you guys what, I'm going to order this on the 25th and tell you guys how it works out.

Spend the extra money and really immerse yourself in the experience...

https://www.stewmac.com/Materials_a...t_Kits/Ukulele_Kits/StewMac_Ukulele_Kits.html

Scooter

I agree. The kit from Amazon is more sticking pieces together rather than "building a ukulele." The Stew-Mac kits is a nice challenge. I built a tenor a few years ago. That was the only size available. It requires careful measuring and workmanship, but the results can be excellent. They used to have a video available explaining construction. It was done by the Mya-Moe people. I don't see it listed now. I used Timber Mate for the finish, and I used this build as an excuse to buy a small Bosch router. :)

1.jpg

Thanks for the input, everyone. To be honest, I do like a good challenge, and want to spend the extra money.

However, I cant due to finances. The one on Amazon is the only one I can afford currently.

This one on Amazon may be a nice introduction for me in building ukuleles. As soon as I can afford the more expensive ones like you guys recommended, I can give them a shot. Until then, I have to work with what I can afford.

Again, thanks for the input.

Jared

I think I'm going to try that when I actually have the extra money.

Yes, "extra money" is the key to an enjoyable life. :)

I spent $216 on the kit and about $65 on tools and supplies. I used Timber Mate wood filler and then Tru-Oil for the finish - great product.

My daughter bought me one of those kits (from Amazon, I think) Christmas a year ago. I thought the most challenging thing was placement of the saddle. I researched all around for scale lengths appropriate to the included fretboard and added about .050" for string tension to the recommended scale.
It still came out a little short of true scale once tuned up so intonation is not quite right. It was a fun, simple project and it's playable but not quite right.

My daughter bought me one of those kits (from Amazon, I think) Christmas a year ago. I thought the most challenging thing was placement of the saddle. I researched all around for scale lengths appropriate to the included fretboard and added about .050" for string tension to the recommended scale.
It still came out a little short of true scale once tuned up so intonation is not quite right. It was a fun, simple project and it's playable but not quite right.

Wow, I thought that for crucial things like bridge/saddle position there would be clear markings and possibly pre-drilled holes. But I am not handy and would never attempt a project like this anyway.

Several years ago I got a very similar kit to make a cigar box ukulele. Everything much the same except I had to find my own cigar box. I built it at our condo in San Juan with nothing more than some basic hand tools on my front steps and the kitchen counter. I followed the directions carefully and it came out very nice. It takes a modicum of patience and attention. You can't just throw it together. But other than that it was not difficult.

The ʻukulele originated in the 19th century as a Hawaiian adaptation of the Portuguese machete, a small guitar-like instrument, which was introduced to Hawaii by Portuguese immigrants, mainly from Madeira and the Azores. It gained great popularity elsewhere in this site the United States during the early 20th century and from there spread internationally.

Last edited:
Wow, I thought that for crucial things like bridge/saddle position there would be clear markings and possibly pre-drilled holes. But I am not handy and would never attempt a project like this anyway.

Although the location of the saddle is critical, it's easy to determine. The 12th fret it midway between the edge of the nut and the top of the saddle. Some people prefer to allow a little wiggle room in that measurement. Getting the bridge level can be more of a challenge.

EDIT: 3-26-2020. I just got an email saying this email was just posted. :eek:

Last edited:
Top Bottom