Flight TUSL-35 Reviews

Thanks so much for doing that review. I watched both videos, very well done. I like the fact that Flight are encouraging people to buy from their local music stores. Those places are really the heart and soul of the music scene for the average person.

Sounds good. Lots of volume. These are now showing up on Amazon in the US for about $50.00, with free delivery in only a couple of days with Amazon Prime. I want a black one! The wide 30mm string spacing at the nut sounds right up my alley.

I just wanted to add that I decided to measure width at the 1st fret because things like zero frets (such as the TUSL-35) change spacing a bit from the nut. So I decided that if I measured that spacing at the 1st fret, it would be more consistent for me as I do these reviews.

I have one of the TUS 35 (black) with the regular soprano scale. I like it better with fluorocarbon strings. It gives it a little more pop and liveliness. It is a nice instrument, although I may consider selling it as I play other instruments a little more regularly.

Nice review, thanks for posting! I actually wasn't aware of this YouTube channel, so thanks for sharing. :)

I bought one of these last week, actually the TUSL-50 model that has the wood grain soundboard.

Hate the white strings that it came with. They are thick and stiff and sound shrill when I played them. They were incorrectly strung as well, with too much string wrapped around the posts and the E-string wouldn't stay in tune. I replaced the strings with a set of Worth Browns that I already had. Now this ukulele sounds fantastic. Warmer and less plasticy than the Enya Nova that I also own. Plenty of volume for a soprano and sustain is not bad for a cheaper ukulele.

Can anyone recommend a better gig bag for this ukulele? Something with more padding to protect against bumps etc. I have other soprano gig bags, but none of them fit the long neck on this instrument. Concert ukulele gig bags are too bulky. Total length of this ukulele is 23.3 inches (59.3 cm). Thanks.

Last edited:
I bought one of these last week, actually the TUSL-50 model that has the wood grain soundboard.

Hate the white strings that it came with. They are thick and stiff and sound shrill when I played them. They were incorrectly strung as well, with too much string wrapped around the posts and the E-string wouldn't stay in tune. I replaced the strings with a set of Worth Browns that I already had. Now this ukulele sounds fantastic. Warmer and less plasticy than the Enya Nova that I also own. Plenty of volume for a soprano and sustain is not bad for a cheaper ukulele.

Can anyone recommend a better gig bag for this ukulele? Something with more padding to protect against bumps etc. I have other soprano gig bags, but none of them fit the long neck on this instrument. Concert ukulele gig bags are too bulky. Total length of this ukulele is 23.3 inches (59.3 cm). Thanks.

With the original TUS-35 that I have (one of the Light Blue models that went on a strange Amazon sale a couple of years ago), I didn't realize how good it was until I played it against a Magic Fluke. Don't get me wrong...the Magic Fluke is better...but the Flight is "in the neighborhood" at 1/5 the cost.

I am 100% in agreement about the strings. If all we had as an option was Aquila Super Nylguts, I'd survive...but I prefer fluorocarbons on just about everything but banjoleles.

Flight recommended their $20 concert bag if you are interested in a Flight-branded ukulele gig bag.

https://www.halleonard.com/product/299940/flight-concert-ukulele-gig-bag

Otherwise any "thinner" concert gig bag should work, too, as the overall length should be similar to a concert, even though the ukulele's body is that of a soprano.

You are very welcome. I haven't been promoting my reviews, but I'm finally at a point where I am content with what I'm doing and what I have to offer.

I've been posting videos for a while, with my main work at YouTube.com/ukeplayalongs, which will pass 45K subscribers soon. I can't monetize that work, so last summer I split my channel into a second channel where I put all of my own content, rather than the ukulele play alongs. That channel will be monetized someday (basic ad revenue), which will justify some of the time I put into my ukulele work! I tried the Patreon approach for a while but wasn't happy with locking people (many friends) into a monthly payment.

The Kaces bags are great. They are really well made and well padded. You can often find them at really good prices

https://kaces.com/collections/ukulele

https://www.ukerepublic.com/store/p204/Kaces_Ukulele_Bag.html

You might have to get a concert bag to fit the long necked version

The Roadrunner RR1SUKE gig bag should work perfectly. Go to their website and you will see the internal dimension is exactly 23.3” long.

I have the concert model (3 years now) which works perfectly for long neck concerts and my Enya Nova which is longer then standard length. These are very well made with good padding, pockets, handle and pack back straps.

The Roadrunner RR1SUKE gig bag should work perfectly. Go to their website and you will see the internal dimension is exactly 23.3” long.

I have the concert model (3 years now) which works perfectly for long neck concerts and my Enya Nova which is longer then standard length. These are very well made with good padding, pockets, handle and pack back straps.

Unfortunately, that bag costs as much as the ukulele. Anyone have a suggestion for close fitting long-neck soprano padded gig bag that costs under $20? Doesn't have to be pro quality.

Just received my Flight TUSL-35, bought from Amazon. The action is really nice & low -- only 0.7MM at 12th fret. .......Oh, wait! I forgot to tighten the strings.

But seriously, folks -- many thanks to Choirguy for putting us on the trail of this grrrreat bargain. I love it!

Flight has much nicer bags for higher end models. US list price is in the $20 range I believe. You should be able to find a dealer to get you one (I could but I'm in Canada) or you might be able to order directly from Hal Leonard.

Flight gig bag on Hal Leonard - https://www.halleonard.com/product/299940/flight-concert-ukulele-gig-bag?subsiteid=68

Cheers

The flight bag is 10 inches wide, but the TUSL is only 7 inches wide, so it will be swimming in that thing. There must be a better fitting reasonably priced bag out there?

It's so durable that the dust cover it comes with is good for most situations. If you want a case for less than $20, there are probably some out there, or you could make one yourself if you have a sewing machine. I think it might fit in most soprano cases, but I hope to find out.

Unfortunately, that bag costs as much as the ukulele. Anyone have a suggestion for close fitting long-neck soprano padded gig bag that costs under $20? Doesn't have to be pro quality.

It's so durable that the dust cover it comes with is good for most situations. If you want a case for less than $20, there are probably some out there, or you could make one yourself if you have a sewing machine. I think it might fit in most soprano cases, but I hope to find out.

The TUSL is 2.5 inches longer than most soprano ukuleles. It fits in none of the soprano cases or gig bags that I already own.

The TUSL is 2.5 inches longer than most soprano ukuleles. It fits in none of the soprano cases or gig bags that I already own.

Sorry to hear that. Longneck sops have all fit in my soprano Steady/Fremont gig bag. I'll test it when my TUSL arrives tomorrow.

Hey John, that looks good. Are those the better Grover friction tuners, like they used to put on the Kiwaya KTS series? I liked those. But I'm fine with what's on it.

Good to know the case fit.

I have Aquila carbonblack on my TUS. Those are the same as the reds and very similar to the new, more-expensive Martins. It sounds good. But I'm sure theM600s are as good or better. Not sure what I'll try on the longneck when it arrives. Whatever I've got in the drawer, I'm sure.

My excuse for getting another one just like the other one is that I can loan them out or give lessons to the grandchildren, neighbor kids, and ukulele-curious friends. Or give one to said children. As if my grandchildren need another ukulele, right? But the neighbor kids? Maybe!

AFAIK, the 6B and 6W (black or white buttons) are the top of the Grover friction tuner line, with silicone washers on both top and back of the headstock, for smoother operation. The lower line 4B tuners are also nice, with a shorter metal collar on the back. The 2B are the low end, as found on Fleas/Flukes, and don't turn as smoothly. I'm pretty sure that Kiwaya and Famous ukes were/are equipped with Gotoh friction tuners, not Grovers.

Doh. Yes, Kiwaya had Gotoh friction. But I still like that model of Grover, and I think it's equivalent to the Gotoh. They are very smooth operating.

Sidetrack topic, the less-expensive Kiwaya/Famous have/had the less-expensive tuners, and they're not really very nice. In my opinion.

Top Bottom