Flight TUSL-35 Reviews

Mine arrived with the action so high I couldn't measure it with a string gauge. That affected everything else. I contacted Flight and they said they'd send a new saddle. They didn't, at least not yet, and it's been 3.5 weeks. I only had 30 days to send it back, so I quit waiting for the replacement saddle a couple of days ago. I still like the soprano version, but I think this one may have some kinks in production that need to be worked out.

Sounds good. Lots of volume. These are now showing up on Amazon in the US for about $50.00, with free delivery in only a couple of days with Amazon Prime. I want a black one! The 36.5mm wide nut and 30.79mm string spacing at the nut sounds right up my alley.

One other feature I like is the fact that the plastic frets are painted, and thus much more visible to the player than unpainted frets, as seen on other plastic fingerboard ukes, including Fleas and Flukes. No need for painting plastic frets with Sharpies here.

John, Union Music in selling Flight ukes. Just FYI.

Eugenio

Mine arrived with the action so high I couldn't measure it with a string gauge. That affected everything else. I contacted Flight and they said they'd send a new saddle. They didn't, at least not yet, and it's been 3.5 weeks. I only had 30 days to send it back, so I quit waiting for the replacement saddle a couple of days ago. I still like the soprano version, but I think this one may have some kinks in production that need to be worked out.

The replacement saddles arrived today, but they weren't for this uke. One was clear, uncompensated, and thin. The other was white and compensated. I had just mailed it back to Amazon, so no way to check if they might have worked.

Interesting thread. I was surprised it's 2.5 inches longer than a soprano. My old Kala long neck would fit in a soprano gig bag okay. But this has almost 3/4" longer scale than my Kala.

So far I'm liking mine. I've got used to the nylgut strings and I'm in no hurry to swap them out. Mine came in at 2 mm at the 12th fret, so on the lower end of good, but makes for easy fretting, if a bit low for finger picking. It came with untensioned strings and I really noticed the tuners are stiff, but not too noticeable once it's settled in and will be fine (until I do a string change). Maybe they'll get better in time? I like most details except the weight. I'm used to featherweight sopranos, so it feels a bit brick like when I pick it up. Probably similar to other plastic ukuleles though.

I just bought two of these. Black and walnut. One is for low G. Any advice as to which strings to fit for this kind of tuning with this type of uke?

Cheers!

I just bought two of these. Black and walnut. One is for low G. Any advice as to which strings to fit for this kind of tuning with this type of uke?

Cheers!

I used Worth Browns with unwound low-G. Works great.

The TUSL is 2.5 inches longer than most soprano ukuleles. It fits in none of the soprano cases or gig bags that I already own.

Have you tried a concert-sized bag?

Ziret, any updates on this...sorry I haven't checked in with you about it.

Also...I ended up sanding my saddle down. I replaced the strings and something happened (not complaining) and the setup went crazy. So, I lowered the saddle and put on other strings (Enya E6 fluorocarbon, what I had at the time), and now I'm even more in love with the thing.

When I'm about the house, I probably play that and is sister, the Light Blue TUS that was $29 some time ago, more than anything else in the house. It doesn't hurt that I don't have to enclose them for the winter.

No problem, Chris, I thought I had updated you. I had sent it back to Amazon. I didn’t get a replacement, As I didn’t want to take the chance. I agree, though, the TUS is a fun instrument, and I’m sure the TUSL is as good if they’ve worked out the problems in setup. I have an Enya Nova, so I think I have my durable, plastic uke bases covered, (and I could probably use them as bases!) at least for now. I keep the TUS in the trunk and the Nova on the porch. Every once in a while I switch that.

How do you like the Enya strings? They sent me a few sets and I haven’t tried them yet, but I’m curious!

Teri

Ziret, any updates on this...sorry I haven't checked in with you about it.

Also...I ended up sanding my saddle down. I replaced the strings and something happened (not complaining) and the setup went crazy. So, I lowered the saddle and put on other strings (Enya E6 fluorocarbon, what I had at the time), and now I'm even more in love with the thing.

When I'm about the house, I probably play that and is sister, the Light Blue TUS that was $29 some time ago, more than anything else in the house. It doesn't hurt that I don't have to enclose them for the winter.

Thanks for posting these. Honestly, as a beginner, I'm learning a ton from your YouTube channel. It's been so helpful. Thanks again!

Ovation looks to be using that body (called Lyrachord(R)) on a uke with a koa top, wooden neck and fretboard, pickup/preamp, 36mm nut and that headstock.... msrp 249

Ovation looks to be using that body (called Lyrachord(R)) on a uke with a koa top, wooden neck and fretboard, pickup/preamp, 36mm nut and that headstock.... msrp 249

I believe Ovation invented the concept

TUS55s now in acacia and mango flavors...really nice looking!

TUS55s now in acacia and mango flavors...really nice looking!

I saw these on the Flight website maybe a few weeks ago. They indeed look really nice, a step up in my book if you don't like the brightly coloured ones. There's also a TUS53 mahogany one.

Concert-sized TUCs have shown up on their website, bigger body than TUS/TUSLs according to Flight.

Top Bottom