Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Flight TUSL-35 Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Ziret View Post
    It's so durable that the dust cover it comes with is good for most situations. If you want a case for less than $20, there are probably some out there, or you could make one yourself if you have a sewing machine. I think it might fit in most soprano cases, but I hope to find out.
    Teri, mine easily fits into my cheap eBay tweed sop case, better than many non-longneck sops. That case is longer than most.
    20200224_213218.jpg3
    Last edited by Ukecaster; 02-24-2020 at 05:29 PM.
    John

It's so durable that the dust cover it comes with is good for most situations. If you want a case for less than $20, there are probably some out there, or you could make one yourself if you have a sewing machine. I think it might fit in most soprano cases, but I hope to find out.
    The TUSL is 2.5 inches longer than most soprano ukuleles. It fits in none of the soprano cases or gig bags that I already own.

Grover 6B friction tuners installed. New Martin M600 strings going on tomorrow. The stock Aquilas sounded just meh on this one, need more sparkle, and less mids IMO. YMMV.

20200224_232133.jpg20200224_232040.jpg
    John

Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    The TUSL is 2.5 inches longer than most soprano ukuleles. It fits in none of the soprano cases or gig bags that I already own.
    Sorry to hear that. Longneck sops have all fit in my soprano Steady/Fremont gig bag. I'll test it when my TUSL arrives tomorrow.

Hey John, that looks good. Are those the better Grover friction tuners, like they used to put on the Kiwaya KTS series? I liked those. But I'm fine with what's on it.

Good to know the case fit.

I have Aquila carbonblack on my TUS. Those are the same as the reds and very similar to the new, more-expensive Martins. It sounds good. But I'm sure theM600s are as good or better. Not sure what I'll try on the longneck when it arrives. Whatever I've got in the drawer, I'm sure.

My excuse for getting another one just like the other one is that I can loan them out or give lessons to the grandchildren, neighbor kids, and ukulele-curious friends. Or give one to said children. As if my grandchildren need another ukulele, right? But the neighbor kids? Maybe!

Hey John, that looks good. Are those the better Grover friction tuners, like they used to put on the Kiwaya KTS series?.....
    AFAIK, the 6B and 6W (black or white buttons) are the top of the Grover friction tuner line, with silicone washers on both top and back of the headstock, for smoother operation. The lower line 4B tuners are also nice, with a shorter metal collar on the back. The 2B are the low end, as found on Fleas/Flukes, and don't turn as smoothly. I'm pretty sure that Kiwaya and Famous ukes were/are equipped with Gotoh friction tuners, not Grovers.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Ukecaster View Post
    AFAIK, the 6B and 6W (black or white buttons) are the top of the Grover friction tuner line, with silicone washers on both top and back of the headstock, for smoother operation. The lower line 4B tuners are also nice, with a shorter metal collar on the back. The 2B are the low end, as found on Fleas/Flukes, and don't turn as smoothly. I'm pretty sure that Kiwaya and Famous ukes were/are equipped with Gotoh friction tuners, not Grovers.
    Doh. Yes, Kiwaya had Gotoh friction. But I still like that model of Grover, and I think it's equivalent to the Gotoh. They are very smooth operating.

Sidetrack topic, the less-expensive Kiwaya/Famous have/had the less-expensive tuners, and they're not really very nice. In my opinion.

On mine, I noticed thin wooden shims sticking out the back, between body and neck heel (see pic below). Kinda sloppy, but the action is a sweet 2.5mm, so I'll probably just cut off the excess with a razor blade. For $50.00, I'll live with it. It sounds good, but my concert Flea has much more sparkle. Both with Martin M600 strings.

20200310_133700.jpg
    John

Mine arrived with the action so high I couldn't measure it with a string gauge. That affected everything else. I contacted Flight and they said they'd send a new saddle. They didn't, at least not yet, and it's been 3.5 weeks. I only had 30 days to send it back, so I quit waiting for the replacement saddle a couple of days ago. I still like the soprano version, but I think this one may have some kinks in production that need to be worked out.

Ziret, send me a direct message with some contact info for you, and I'll do my best to help you out.

Chris
    My ukulele blog: http://ukestuff.info

My ukulele YouTube channels:

Thread Information