SOTU 419 "Lachrymose Lamentations"

Thank you, Corinna and Geoff for rounding off the evening (well MY evening) so splendidly ... and thanks to everyone else who contributed today. The Playlist is up to date.

If you haven't shed enough tears today, I leave you with this short clip of the incomparable Stan Laurel, who had crying down to a fine art, and who was reported to have said, "If any of you cry at my funeral, I'll never speak to you again".

Thanks for hosting this sad season Val! In researching the theme I came across this Johny Cash song. Sent the J.C. version to Jon, and within a few hours we came up with a chart and this clip. On a personal note, I'll never forget studying the Trail of Tears in elementary school, and crying about the sad reality that the Indian peoples faced. Cheers , kev

Jon played baritone, uke tapping percussion and foot stomping device. I played resonator tenor uke and sang.

Last edited:
And good morning/afternoon/early evening from deepest France ... where the good news is that it is NOT snowing! Very many thanks to Kev and Jon and Lynda for your splendid offerings. (I was particularly intrigued to hear of the "Trail of Tears", about which I am ashamed to admit, I knew nothing.) The Playlist has been updated.

Please keep those tears flowing, dear Seasonistas ... I want to be "awash" by the end of the day!

Thanks for hosting this one Val. I thought I'd set myself an additional challenge of actually trying to memorize an Instrumental and see how far I could run with it before the brain batteries died ………….

Ahoy
Here is my crying song of the week, or at least the first one that came to mind.

Here is an original from me (surprise, surprise). I tried to think of a way in which I could write about the theme while presenting an argument against "weeping and wailing" instead of acting on what is causing us misery.

Of course, the solution is never as simple as my narrator feels it is... But a lot of people share my narrator's "pull your socks up attitude"

Hope you enjoy:

Yesterday would have been Johnny Cash’s 88th birthday, so I’m a day late to that party.

Here's a Willie Nelson song from as long ago as 1959, which I think I first heard when Pa did it for a season of WN songs.

"Voir un ami pleurer" (To See A Friend Cry) from Jacques Brel's last album in 1977. This is quite sombre even by Brel's standards.

Teardrops - Womack & Womack

"Drawing from their own, convoluted, personal experiences, Cecil and his wife [Linda Womack], who had known each other since childhood, were experts at captivating[sic] the trials, travails and tribulations of love." Obituary: Cecil Womack - The Independent

Linda Womack, daughter of soul legend Sam Cooke, was also the stepdaughter of her husband Cecil's brother, Bobby Womack.

They became an item shortly after Cecil divorced his first wife, Mary "My Guy" Wells, for having an affair with another of his brothers, Curtis Womack.

A few years prior to the marriage of Cecil and Linda, Linda's mother, Sam's widow Barbara Cooke Womack, had divorced Bobby Womack after discovering him in bed with stepdaughter Linda.

Yep, convoluted's the word, all right - but what a great song*.

"I took a crazy chance. Next time, I'll be true", and indeed they were: their marriage of 35 years ended only by Cecil's death from cancer at the age of 65.

*not this song, obvs. The song itself

Last edited:
Hi, I hope this one makes you cry like it does me!

Took me ages to work out how & why the chords in this song fit together - supposedly in the key of C but beginning and ending on Dm. Answer, it's written in Dorian mode!

D Dorian to be precise, the Dorian mode in the key of C (i.e., no sharps or flats); Dorian being one of the three minor modes, along with Aeolian and Phrygian. In Dorian mode, the tonic note is not 'doh', but 're' (the Dorian octave begins and ends on a 're', not a 'doh'). In the key of C, 're', the Dorian tonic note, is D (hence 'D' Dorian) and the I chord, Dm. That's why the chords go Dm, F, C, G.

'Mad World' is the only pop song I know that uses Dorian mode.

Also, great performance Liz!

Last edited:
Oh looky there, it's another Mad World just above me! Just two more and we can say it's a not just a mad world, but a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World! (well, mine does have video in it from two previous verions in it... so maybe we're already there)

You don't see a "Mad World" for ages, then two of them come along together! Thanks for that foray into the Dorian mode, Paul (you really ARE knowledgeable!) and thanks to Liz and Joko for these two splendid versions (well, more than two really with Joko's blasts from the past.)

And talking of crying (which we were), have you ever wondered how male actors manage to express their emotions so realistically on the screen? This, apparently is how it is done ....

Very many thanks to all who have posted today ... please keep those tears flowing; there is still time to cry a river!

Thanks for hosting this sad week Val! Another collaboration with Jon! This is a Townes Van Zandt song, and to me, it's one of the saddest songs I've ever played/sung. Cheers ~

"Drawing from their own, convoluted, personal experiences, Cecil and his wife [Linda Womack], who had known each other since childhood, were experts at captivating[sic] the trials, travails and tribulations of love." Obituary: Cecil Womack - The Independent

Linda Womack, daughter of soul legend Sam Cooke, was also the stepdaughter of her husband Cecil's brother, Bobby Womack.

They became an item shortly after Cecil divorced his first wife, Mary "My Guy" Wells, for having an affair with another of his brothers, Curtis Womack.

A few years prior to the marriage of Cecil and Linda, Linda's mother, Sam's widow Barbara Cooke Womack, had divorced Bobby Womack after discovering him in bed with stepdaughter Linda.

... it's written in Dorian mode!

D Dorian to be precise, the Dorian mode in the key of C (i.e., no sharps or flats); and Dorian is one of the three minor modes, along with Aeolian and Phrygian. In Dorian mode, the tonic note is not 'doh', but 're' (the Dorian octave begins and ends on a 're', not a 'doh'). In the key of C, 're', the Dorian tonic note, is D (hence 'D' Dorian) and the I chord, Dm. That's why the chords go Dm, F, C, G.

Oh, Paul, you're kinking knots in my cerebral gyri, and felting them ...

Good morning, Sad Seasonistas, from deepest France, where the good news is that it isn't snowing! And thank you to the Brothers "Silence is Autumn" for this splendid rendition of a sad, sad song which will doubtless move you to tears.

I begin today with profound apologies ... I think I must have been inhabiting some parallel universe yesterday! Firstly, to Kev ... I commented on your wonderful "Apache Tears" vid and then omitted to add it to the Playlist; and then to Steve, whose video I managed to miss altogether ... so sorry, Steve!!! PLEASE let me know if I miss you off ... I'm obviously not as efficient as I thought I was!

And now for today, onwards and upwards ... let the misery pour forth!

Top Bottom