SOTU 419 "Lachrymose Lamentations"

Surprised this one hasn't been done yet. This one is from a Low G arrangement so Ignored that fact and played re-entrant (If you don't try you'll never know what it sounds like) :D

after the weekly uke jam Thursday night, learned this Badfinger song with my friends Chuck and Marc. While I remember some of their more well known hits, this one was totally new to me. Fun song for a sad season :)

Stan Hugill, thinks this shanty originated in the West Indies and the refrain Shallow (or Challo) Brown refers to a person of mixed race. Like many shanties, it spread out via the ports of the Eastern USA and a version ended up being collected in Plymouth by Cecil Sharpe.

The lyrics of the verses are many and are mostly typical of shanties - women, life at sea etc. However there is one variant (which Stan Hugill titles "Oh, I'm Bound to Leave You) which refers to a practice by some Plantation owners in the Southern USA of hiring out some of their slaves to Yankee Whalers during the South Atlantic Whaling Season as it coincided with a period on the plantations when things were quiet and there was less work to be done. This is the version I sing here.

Hi Val, am just about to sort my vid for Season 420, but I though I’d make a contribution first. My first thought was to do Cry Baby Cry, but BEV has already done a wonderful version of that. Then I thought...hmmmm, how about Don’t Cry For Me Argentina, which, if you ask me, is one of the only two or three decent songs in the whole of Evita. To be honest, I’ve endured that show twice, but it’s worth it just for Don’t Cry etc. Always really got me in the gut. I don’t think Julie Covington’s version has ever been bettered. Anyway, I digress.... Corinna has done a drop dead gorgeous version already. So I went back to The Beatles (they never, ever, let you down) and picked this one of John’s off their second elpee, With The Beatles....there is a fair amount of crying in this one.

Years ago I wrote this on guitar with open tuning, and today I sat down and figured out some chords for the ukulele. It is a twist on the old song Rivers of Babylon where we wept when we remembered Zion. When we are held in captivity we hang up our harps, and our wine becomes water, and our precious Pearl's become plain.

Ahoy everybody.
I got off work a bit early today so I used the time to do another crying song

And good morning/afternoon/early evening from deepest France, where I have overslept. Firstly, a big thank you to Heinz, Alan and Lynda (x2) for their "overnight" contributions. PLEASE KEEP THOSE TEARS FLOWING ... the well of misery has yet to be filled!

P.S. Is anyone feeling aggrieved because I appear not to have commented on their video(s)? I have been told by two people that they are unable to see any comments, but I have commented (favourably, of course) on each and every contribution. If there is a problem, then I shall have to report it to YouTube and I can only apologise to anyone who might be feeling ignored!

report it to YouTube
ah, good luck with that!!!!!!!! i know comments go missing - comments i've made on people's vids, and comments other folk have made on mine, have all disappeared within hours, and if you look at really old vids, from years and years ago, you might find hardly any comments left, and replies cast loose and drifting far from the original comments, if they are there at all. long story short - the comments system on youtube is pretty hopeless, really! but it's a heck of a lot of work for a host to bring all the comments they make, over to the thread to replicate them here, most people including myself don't bother doing that, so i think we have to be philosophical about the youtube comments problem. the best way of making sure the host has seen a vid is to check it's on the playlist oh wait youtube has made that harder now with the whole "is your vid for kids" thing, 'cos if it is, or if they THINK it is, they won't them go on a playlist, or receive comments....................... apart from all that, youtube is marvellous, obviously :confused: mebbe

ah, good luck with that!!!!!!!! i know comments go missing - comments i've made on people's vids, and comments other folk have made on mine, have all disappeared within hours, and if you look at really old vids, from years and years ago, you might find hardly any comments left, and replies cast loose and drifting far from the original comments, if they are there at all. long story short - the comments system on youtube is pretty hopeless, really! but it's a heck of a lot of work for a host to bring all the comments they make, over to the thread to replicate them here, most people including myself don't bother doing that, so i think we have to be philosophical about the youtube comments problem. the best way of making sure the host has seen a vid is to check it's on the playlist oh wait youtube has made that harder now with the whole "is your vid for kids" thing, 'cos if it is, or if they THINK it is, they won't them go on a playlist, or receive comments....................... apart from all that, youtube is marvellous, obviously :confused: mebbe
I've got quite a few comments to catch up on because I'd set my YT as being 'okay for kids' which made comments Invisible to me so when I went back and changed my settings to 'Not okay for kids' I could see the back log of comments.

Last edited:
I've got quite a few comments to catch up on because I'd set my YT as being 'okay for kids' which made comments Invisible to me so when I went back and changed my settings to 'Not okay for kids' I could see the back log of comments.

Ah, thanks for the comments, Lynda and Mark ... doesn't sound very hopeful, unless the party concerned has inadvertently set their channel to "okay for kids"; but then I think it tells the person wanting to comment that comments are disabled.

And good morning/afternoon/early evening from deepest France, where I have overslept. Firstly, a big thank you to Heinz, Alan and Lynda (x2) for their "overnight" contributions. PLEASE KEEP THOSE TEARS FLOWING ... the well of misery has yet to be filled!

P.S. Is anyone feeling aggrieved because I appear not to have commented on their video(s)? I have been told by two people that they are unable to see any comments, but I have commented (favourably, of course) on each and every contribution. If there is a problem, then I shall have to report it to YouTube and I can only apologise to anyone who might be feeling ignored!

I have sometimes found old comments hidden under either held for review or likely spam in the comment section in youtube studio. I set the page as not for kids but still some comments get filed away under review/spam
Perhaps people need to 'vet' your comments.

Top Bottom