SOTU 419 "Lachrymose Lamentations"

Little Bird - A Jim Horne song
Seeking solace from nature and wishing for a magic wand to wave to remove all wrongs from the world.

val, i have another homemade song, but i dunno if it counts because i am too musically ignorant to know if it's in a minor key, i dunno WHAT key i'm in! (i came up with what seemed to me a slightly mournful little plink, over two strings, on a uke in standard tuning, but i can't seem to replicate the sound with "proper" chords...) if anyone with a brain would let me know what key i'm in, please let me know :confused:

My apologies Val.
I have watched your tear filled intro vid several times but forgot all about your request that originals should be in a minor key. None of mine have been.
Am happy to take them off the thread if you wish.
Will try and bring one in a minor key.

My apologies Val.
I have watched your tear filled intro vid several times but forgot all about your request that originals should be in a minor key. None of mine have been.
Am happy to take them off the thread if you wish.
Will try and bring one in a minor key.

Absolutely not, Brian ... they are all true to the subject; leave them be! (To be honest, I had temporarily forgotten that stipulation myself!)

val, i have another homemade song, but i dunno if it counts because i am too musically ignorant to know if it's in a minor key, i dunno WHAT key i'm in! (i came up with what seemed to me a slightly mournful little plink, over two strings, on a uke in standard tuning, but i can't seem to replicate the sound with "proper" chords...) if anyone with a brain would let me know what key i'm in, please let me know :confused:

No, Lynda ... as with Brian, leave it be! "Mournful" is just fine ... and as I said to Brian, I had completely forgotten about the "minor key" thing.

Good morning/afternoon/early evening, you miserable lot! "Heaven knows, we need never be ashamed of our tears" ... so said Charles Dickens in "Great Expectations". So, dear, inconsolable Seasonistas, let them pour forth! A big thank you to the "overnight" contributors ... Alan, Brian, Dave and Lynda. I will update the Playlist forthwith.

Last edited:
this, an original song for the season from the silence is autumn brothers

Your key is C.
Your first chord, 0010, is F(add9) - [or possibly F(add2), as the 2-note & the 9-note are the same note, just one octave apart].
Your second chord, 0030, is some sort of power chord. With the C in the bass, I'd call it C5(add6), though I've also seen it described as F/G (add2), 2nd inversion [2nd, 'cos the 5th of the chord, C, is in the bass]: www.scales-chords.com/chord/ukulele/Fadd(2).
Your third chord is C6.
HTH
Also, great song :)

Your key is C.
Your first chord, 0010, is F(add9) - [or possibly F(add2), as the 2-note & the 9-note are the same note, just one octave apart].
Your second chord, 0030, is some sort of power chord. With the C in the bass, I'd call it C5(add6), though I've also seen it described as F/G (add2), 2nd inversion [2nd, 'cos the 5th of the chord, C, is in the bass]: www.scales-chords.com/chord/ukulele/Fadd(2).
Your third chord is C6.

HTH
Also, great song :)

​My gosh, Paul ... thanks for that!

Sorry to interrupt, but a wrap of Season 418 has just been posted. Now back to crying and sobbing!

Where have you been, Stanley ... China, Italy, South Korea??? This is my one and only contribution to this week of misery ... recording it just made me too depressed. "Love is Blue" was originally a French song and in that version there was the possibility of a happy ending ... you had the feeling that whoever had gone, he/she would be returning eventually. The English lyrics leave no room for such optimism ... there is just unrelenting misery (albeit in a multi-coloured sort of way.)

Last edited:
Hi, I hope this one makes you cry like it does me!

Top Bottom