Are there quality linden (basswood) ukuleles?

Ed1

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
In looking through a wood database, I noticed that basswood (linden) is in the middle of four spruces for hardness and density, and just about everything else except shrinkage. Are there any high quality ukes made with linden tops and if not, what is the a reason it's not used by luthiers or others making more expensive instruments?

(The question seemed to me better here than "Ukulele Building")

Attachments

• lindenSnapshot.jpg
    lindenSnapshot.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 11
My luthier friend says basswood is soft and easy to work with, but it dents easy, like cedar. It often has a warm, balanced sound with decent mid range and good sustain. He said he wouldn't use it for an instrument he wants to sell because it lacks "name value."

Flukes, Fleas, and the travel Flights have linden wood tops.

Flukes, Fleas, and the travel Flights have linden wood tops.

Yes, the Flight travel ukes supposedly have a solid Linden (basswood) top, but I thought the Fleas and Flukes used Hoop Pine? Plus, I always thought the standard Fleas and Flukes had laminated hoop pine, not solid. They certainly don't advertise them as having solid tops, so that usually means they're not.

Last edited:
My luthier friend says basswood is soft and easy to work with, but it dents easy, like cedar. It often has a warm, balanced sound with decent mid range and good sustain. He said he wouldn't use it for an instrument he wants to sell because it lacks "name value."

This is what I thought might be the answer.

Also, according to the magicfluke web site, "Most of our solid color soundboards are 3-ply Australian hoop pine."

Looking around on the internet, most ukes with linden (basswood) are inexpensive imports from China. About the only company I could find that promotes linden/basswood ukes is Eddie Finn, who has a basswood series. With Janka hardness of only 410, it's almost as soft as western red cedar (350), although cedar has a great reputation for tone, and is visually appealing.

Top Bottom