Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Wisdom of Baz

Well done, well said, Rules..........I mean “Things” to live by

Seems the bottom line is “if it works for you and makes you happy have at it”.
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields walnut pineapple super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Enya Nova *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

These are such great reminders!! Thank you for all you contribute to the Uke community Baz!!
    Current Uke Family:
    ~ Mainland Mahogany Satin Concert ~ KoAloha KCM-00 (Koa Concert) ~ MP Black Walnut Cali Concert x Mike Pereira
    ~ Rebel Soprano Double Crème (Mango)

"Always laugh when you can. It is cheap medicine." ~ Lord Byron

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    And maybe a bit more generally, you should feel free to play the ukulele (or any other instrument) in anyway you want. There's no wrong way to play the ukulele whether it's using a pick, a strap, your index finger, your thumb, strumming, fingerpicking, whatever. The uke is a tool for making music which you utilize how you prefer.
    I generally agree that it should be about making music and not worrying. One thing to consider though, is that sometimes doing things in a non traditional way can make progress more difficult. Sure, we can all point to someone like Dizzy Gillespie who was able to play amazingly, even with a non traditional embouchure, but for most mere mortals it may be easier to do things in the standard way.

I also like the tip about (I paraphrase here) it not being about the number of instruments, best instrument or which strings, tuner, strap, etc. Sometimes we get so hung up in the stuff and forget about the music. I think of someone like Azo Bell who is a fantastic player. I have never seen him playing anything other than a fairly basic instrument, nothing special.

Always good to remember it is a tool to get a job done.

all of my ukes get boogered up. Scrapes, scratches, dents, you name it. Call me careless if you like, I just like to play them!
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Battle scars! From the times when i was gigging I can look at ukes that took knocks (it happens) and remember where they occurred. Horrible at the time, but down the line, such marks are memories.
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

I agree with your points Barry. But I equally enjoy the mechanics of the instruments and exploring the differing sounds of various woods and makes. To me that is just as interesting as playing.

Of course, that may be why I am not a better player...
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Oh I do too Kenn - don't get me wrong!

It's just that you see a lot of arguing online as to whether laminate mahogany sounds better than laminate cedar, and whether the model with the pearly edge binding sounds better than the plain model.

I'm all for discussing tonal differences. Less so when it's largely pointless!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Thread Information