The Wisdom of Baz

Excellent! I might want to change a little the last sentence of #8 to: "It's your playing - even if you don't play well - that creates the magic."

Excellent! I might want to change a little the last sentence of #8 to: "It's your playing - even if you don't play well - that creates the magic."

I find that the strength of magic varies with the skill of the player, I might produce weak magic but it still gives me much pleasure. If there was an alteration then to my mind ‘it’s how you play and who you play to that creates the magic’ (beauty is in the ear of the listener). Perhaps that caveat would make the message less clear, whatever, to my mind, Baz’s poster hit the spot - well done that man.

Thinking about all the points on Baz’s list reminds me of my Uke Teacher who I heard playing the other day. He plays the best but give him any Uke and it will sing in his hands, before anything else it’s about the player and how they drag the best out of whatever Uke they have in their hands.

Last edited:
I find that the strength of magic varies with the skill of the player, I might produce weak magic but it still gives me much pleasure. If there was an alteration then to my mind ‘it’s how you play and who you play to that creates the magic’ (beauty is in the ear of the listener). Perhaps that caveat would make the message less clear, whatever, to my mind, Baz’s poster hit the spot - well done that man.

Thinking about all the points on Baz’s list reminds me of my Uke Teacher who I heard playing the other day. He plays the best but give him any Uke and it will sing in his hands, before anything else it’s about the player and how they drag the best out of whatever Uke they have in their hands.

You're right. I was thinking more of the magical feeling for the person playing (and even practicing) and not what it does for others. I like your approach better.

I'd accept that!

Fair points - I think what I was getting at with #8 was a reaction to uke-centrists.. The people who claim that only their choice of instrument carries magic. I think that it would be incredibly arrogant to say to (say) a lifelong clarinet, piano, harp, whatever player that 'your instrument is not as magical as mine'.. Those musicians get just as much joy from their choice of instrument. Of course they do.

During the time I've played the ukulele, I have personally learned the importance of #4. And maybe a bit more generally, you should feel free to play the ukulele (or any other instrument) in anyway you want. There's no wrong way to play the ukulele whether it's using a pick, a strap, your index finger, your thumb, strumming, fingerpicking, whatever. The uke is a tool for making music which you utilize how you prefer. As an example, just look at what James Hill is doing in his recent UkuleleX series (found on YouTube). Certainly not the most traditional way of playing the uke, but my god is it cool.

During the time I've played the ukulele, I have personally learned the importance of #4. And maybe a bit more generally, you should feel free to play the ukulele (or any other instrument) in anyway you want. There's no wrong way to play the ukulele whether it's using a pick, a strap, your index finger, your thumb, strumming, fingerpicking, whatever. The uke is a tool for making music which you utilize how you prefer. As an example, just look at what James Hill is doing in his recent UkuleleX series (found on YouTube). Certainly not the most traditional way of playing the uke, but my god is it cool.
Exactly - and he's been doing that for some time. Phil Doleman, Aaron Keim etc play with picks (as do many of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain). Jake, James H, Taimane etc and literally MOST other professionals play with straps (because it's just a damn sight more practical)... and so on and so on...

Yet, without fail on discussion boards you will find people telling others that you can't use a pick, you can't use a strap, and so on and so on...

It's amazing..

I agree with what Barry's saying here.

Sometimes there are TWO TOUGH CHORES for adults to do with the uke: (1) find the time to play your instrument, and (2) find a competent teacher you can learn from.

MUCH better than just buying a more expensive uke.

fwiw, I recently played a Martin S-1 and compared in to my Mainland soprano. Both were good and no clear winner; why spend the extra $?

Well done, well said, Rules..........I mean “Things” to live by ;)

Seems the bottom line is “if it works for you and makes you happy have at it”.

These are such great reminders!! Thank you for all you contribute to the Uke community Baz!!

And maybe a bit more generally, you should feel free to play the ukulele (or any other instrument) in anyway you want. There's no wrong way to play the ukulele whether it's using a pick, a strap, your index finger, your thumb, strumming, fingerpicking, whatever. The uke is a tool for making music which you utilize how you prefer.

I generally agree that it should be about making music and not worrying. One thing to consider though, is that sometimes doing things in a non traditional way can make progress more difficult. Sure, we can all point to someone like Dizzy Gillespie who was able to play amazingly, even with a non traditional embouchure, but for most mere mortals it may be easier to do things in the standard way.

I also like the tip about (I paraphrase here) it not being about the number of instruments, best instrument or which strings, tuner, strap, etc. Sometimes we get so hung up in the stuff and forget about the music. I think of someone like Azo Bell who is a fantastic player. I have never seen him playing anything other than a fairly basic instrument, nothing special.

Always good to remember it is a tool to get a job done.

all of my ukes get boogered up. Scrapes, scratches, dents, you name it. Call me careless if you like, I just like to play them!

Battle scars! From the times when i was gigging I can look at ukes that took knocks (it happens) and remember where they occurred. Horrible at the time, but down the line, such marks are memories.

I agree with your points Barry. But I equally enjoy the mechanics of the instruments and exploring the differing sounds of various woods and makes. To me that is just as interesting as playing.

Of course, that may be why I am not a better player...

Oh I do too Kenn - don't get me wrong!

It's just that you see a lot of arguing online as to whether laminate mahogany sounds better than laminate cedar, and whether the model with the pearly edge binding sounds better than the plain model.

I'm all for discussing tonal differences. Less so when it's largely pointless!

Top Bottom