Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Wisdom of Baz

Default The Wisdom of Baz

Someone sent me this.

Gotaukulele Poster.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Excellent! I might want to change a little the last sentence of #8 to: "It's your playing - even if you don't play well - that creates the magic."

Quote Originally Posted by Ed1 View Post
    Excellent! I might want to change a little the last sentence of #8 to: "It's your playing - even if you don't play well - that creates the magic."
    I find that the strength of magic varies with the skill of the player, I might produce weak magic but it still gives me much pleasure. If there was an alteration then to my mind ‘it’s how you play and who you play to that creates the magic’ (beauty is in the ear of the listener). Perhaps that caveat would make the message less clear, whatever, to my mind, Baz’s poster hit the spot - well done that man.

Thinking about all the points on Baz’s list reminds me of my Uke Teacher who I heard playing the other day. He plays the best but give him any Uke and it will sing in his hands, before anything else it’s about the player and how they drag the best out of whatever Uke they have in their hands.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 02-23-2020 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post
    I find that the strength of magic varies with the skill of the player, I might produce weak magic but it still gives me much pleasure. If there was an alteration then to my mind ‘it’s how you play and who you play to that creates the magic’ (beauty is in the ear of the listener). Perhaps that caveat would make the message less clear, whatever, to my mind, Baz’s poster hit the spot - well done that man.

Thinking about all the points on Baz’s list reminds me of my Uke Teacher who I heard playing the other day. He plays the best but give him any Uke and it will sing in his hands, before anything else it’s about the player and how they drag the best out of whatever Uke they have in their hands.
    You're right. I was thinking more of the magical feeling for the person playing (and even practicing) and not what it does for others. I like your approach better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed1 View Post
    I'd accept that!
    The GOT A UKULELE REVIEWS DATABASE!

Help Support Got A Ukulele!

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Greenbag View Post

Fair points - I think what I was getting at with #8 was a reaction to uke-centrists.. The people who claim that only their choice of instrument carries magic. I think that it would be incredibly arrogant to say to (say) a lifelong clarinet, piano, harp, whatever player that 'your instrument is not as magical as mine'.. Those musicians get just as much joy from their choice of instrument. Of course they do.

Ukes include (!) Kanile'a K1 Tenor, Tinguitar custom solid tenor, Fluke, Flea, Tinguitar Reclaimed Mahogany soprano, KM Ukuleles Dreadnought Concert, Brüko walnut soprano

I relate to number #9. Just got a well-loved tenor. Will show it off sometime in a NUUD post.

During the time I've played the ukulele, I have personally learned the importance of #4. And maybe a bit more generally, you should feel free to play the ukulele (or any other instrument) in anyway you want. There's no wrong way to play the ukulele whether it's using a pick, a strap, your index finger, your thumb, strumming, fingerpicking, whatever. The uke is a tool for making music which you utilize how you prefer. As an example, just look at what James Hill is doing in his recent UkuleleX series (found on YouTube). Certainly not the most traditional way of playing the uke, but my god is it cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dohle View Post
    During the time I've played the ukulele, I have personally learned the importance of #4. And maybe a bit more generally, you should feel free to play the ukulele (or any other instrument) in anyway you want. There's no wrong way to play the ukulele whether it's using a pick, a strap, your index finger, your thumb, strumming, fingerpicking, whatever. The uke is a tool for making music which you utilize how you prefer. As an example, just look at what James Hill is doing in his recent UkuleleX series (found on YouTube). Certainly not the most traditional way of playing the uke, but my god is it cool.
    Exactly - and he's been doing that for some time. Phil Doleman, Aaron Keim etc play with picks (as do many of the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain). Jake, James H, Taimane etc and literally MOST other professionals play with straps (because it's just a damn sight more practical)... and so on and so on...

Yet, without fail on discussion boards you will find people telling others that you can't use a pick, you can't use a strap, and so on and so on...

It's amazing..

I agree with what Barry's saying here.

Sometimes there are TWO TOUGH CHORES for adults to do with the uke: (1) find the time to play your instrument, and (2) find a competent teacher you can learn from.

MUCH better than just buying a more expensive uke.

fwiw, I recently played a Martin S-1 and compared in to my Mainland soprano. Both were good and no clear winner; why spend the extra $?
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Thread Information