Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: “High End (to me)” Tenor

Default WTB: “High End (to me)” Tenor

Happy Sunday!

I’m looking to purchase a nice USA made tenor $300-$1000 range.

Kanile’a is the preference - satin finish even better!

Also interested in a Pono Mango Tenor (Satin) - and most anything in the area of "intermediate to 'high end'"

Shipping would be to Philadelphia, PA.
    Last edited by thaidye39; 02-23-2020 at 07:45 AM.

Have you looked at the new ones from Kanile'a's OHA series? https://www.theukulelesite.com/kanil...a-c-22530.html

I have! And tempting. But if I’m going to spend that much, I’d prefer to spend a little more and buy all koa (or buy used).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by thaidye39 View Post
    Happy Sunday!

I’m looking to purchase a nice USA made tenor $300-$1000 range.

Kanile’a is the preference - satin finish even better!

Also interested in a Pono Mango Tenor (Satin) - and most anything in the area of "intermediate to 'high end'"

Shipping would be to Philadelphia, PA.
    Pono makes great tenors although they're made in Indonesia, not USA. In your price range, I think a Pono would definitely meet your needs.
    Larry

• ROMERO CREATIONS SOLID MAHOGANY "TINY TENOR"
    • COCOBOLO CEDAR/COCOBOLO CONCERT
    • ANUENUE UT200 MOON BIRD (ALPINE SPRUCE/ROSEWOOD) TENOR
    • KOALOHA KCM-10 PIKAKE KOA CONCERT
    • PONO ATD-CR CEDAR/ACACIA TENOR (LOW "G")
    • HARMONY MAHOGANY BARITONE (1950's)
    • VTAB TS2401 SPRUCE/MAHOGANY CONCERT

Quote Originally Posted by Snargle View Post
    Pono makes great tenors although they're made in Indonesia, not USA. In your price range, I think a Pono would definitely meet your needs.
    Yep! I had one once before.

Still mostly hoping for a made in USA, but if the price is right on a used Pono mango, I’d be willing to take the bait!

I have a Maui Music all cedar tenor and a Pohaku Art Deco that would be in your price range. I’m also just outside Philly so you could try before you buy...always the best option! If you PM me your phone number we could take it from there.
    Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by lakesideglenn View Post
    I have a Maui Music all cedar tenor and a Pohaku Art Deco that would be in your price range. I’m also just outside Philly so you could try before you buy...always the best option! If you PM me your phone number we could take it from there.
    Glenn
    PM sent - keep the offers coming!

The Kala Elite Doghair and Koa1 are made in California and sell for well under a grand. I own both of these models and they're wonderful. Shipping direct from Kala was fast. I even wrote a review of the Doghair (my fav of the pair):

https://fraryguitar.com/kala_elite_doghair.htm

If you are willing to pay $1k for a ukulele, I recommend holding out for a Kanilea or other hand made. My Pono is nice, but it’s not in the same league as my Koaloha or Kanileas/ Kamakas I’ve played. The K brands are thinner in construction and really sound superior than even the nicest Pono IMHO.

If you could stretch another $200-$300, you could get a K brand new. If you are patient, you can get a used one here or elsewhere for $800-$1100.
    Soprano
    KoAloha Opio - Acacia

Tenors
    aNueNue UT200 Moon Bird - Spruce/Rosewood
    Jupiter Ukulele #64 - Cedar/Sycamore
    KoAloha KTM-00 - Koa
    Pono PC-5 Series Pineapple - Mango

Baritone+
    Pono UL4-30 - Spruce/Rosewood Steel String

Quote Originally Posted by KaminTheWeaver View Post
    If you are willing to pay $1k for a ukulele, I recommend holding out for a Kanilea or other hand made. My Pono is nice, but it’s not in the same league as my Koaloha or Kanileas/ Kamakas I’ve played. The K brands are thinner in construction and really sound superior than even the nicest Pono IMHO.

If you could stretch another $200-$300, you could get a K brand new. If you are patient, you can get a used one here or elsewhere for $800-$1100.
    I'd agree - I JUST missed one the other day on The Ukulele Site - the only satin one I've seen listed in quite some time. Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger sooner.

I reached out to Andrew to ask if he had any satins (or gloss) available and also reached out to Mike @ Uke Republic via Instagram. I haven't heard from either yet.. *fingers crossed*

Thread Information