WTB: “High End (to me)” Tenor

thaidye39

Reaction score
EDIT/UPDATE:

Currently looking for a Pono Mango Tenor - Shipping to PA.

Thanks everybody!

Last edited:
I have! And tempting. But if I’m going to spend that much, I’d prefer to spend a little more and buy all koa (or buy used).

Thanks!

Happy Sunday!

I’m looking to purchase a nice USA made tenor $300-$1000 range.

Kanile’a is the preference - satin finish even better!

Also interested in a Pono Mango Tenor (Satin) - and most anything in the area of "intermediate to 'high end'"

Shipping would be to Philadelphia, PA.

Pono makes great tenors although they're made in Indonesia, not USA. In your price range, I think a Pono would definitely meet your needs.

Pono makes great tenors although they're made in Indonesia, not USA. In your price range, I think a Pono would definitely meet your needs.

Yep! I had one once before.

Still mostly hoping for a made in USA, but if the price is right on a used Pono mango, I’d be willing to take the bait!

I have a Maui Music all cedar tenor and a Pohaku Art Deco that would be in your price range. I’m also just outside Philly so you could try before you buy...always the best option! If you PM me your phone number we could take it from there.
Glenn

I have a Maui Music all cedar tenor and a Pohaku Art Deco that would be in your price range. I’m also just outside Philly so you could try before you buy...always the best option! If you PM me your phone number we could take it from there.
Glenn

PM sent - keep the offers coming!

If you are willing to pay $1k for a ukulele, I recommend holding out for a Kanilea or other hand made. My Pono is nice, but it’s not in the same league as my Koaloha or Kanileas/ Kamakas I’ve played. The K brands are thinner in construction and really sound superior than even the nicest Pono IMHO.

If you could stretch another $200-$300, you could get a K brand new. If you are patient, you can get a used one here or elsewhere for $800-$1100.

If you are willing to pay $1k for a ukulele, I recommend holding out for a Kanilea or other hand made. My Pono is nice, but it’s not in the same league as my Koaloha or Kanileas/ Kamakas I’ve played. The K brands are thinner in construction and really sound superior than even the nicest Pono IMHO.

If you could stretch another $200-$300, you could get a K brand new. If you are patient, you can get a used one here or elsewhere for $800-$1100.

I'd agree - I JUST missed one the other day on The Ukulele Site - the only satin one I've seen listed in quite some time. Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger sooner.

I reached out to Andrew to ask if he had any satins (or gloss) available and also reached out to Mike @ Uke Republic via Instagram. I haven't heard from either yet.. *fingers crossed*

I saw that one too. What a beautiful instrument!

I also agree with gochugogi about the Kala elites. I’ve played the Doghair as well as the Koa, and both sound fantastic. They are more open in sound than the Kanileas. Also, the necks on Ponos and Kalas are much thicker than Kanileas or KoAlohas. That’s another factor to keep in mind when making a big purchase.

I saw that one too. What a beautiful instrument!

I also agree with gochugogi about the Kala elites. I’ve played the Doghair as well as the Koa, and both sound fantastic. They are more open in sound than the Kanileas. Also, the necks on Ponos and Kalas are much thicker than Kanileas or KoAlohas. That’s another factor to keep in mind when making a big purchase.

Stunning! I’ve never seen anything like it.

Last edited:
The Kala Elite Doghair and Koa1 are made in California and sell for well under a grand. I own both of these models and they're wonderful. Shipping direct from Kala was fast. I even wrote a review of the Doghair (my fav of the pair):

https://fraryguitar.com/kala_elite_doghair.htm

Yes, there's a Doghair Elite tenor on Reverb for $570.00 shipped, also taking offers.

Thaidye,

Sent you a PM

That Sycamore is gorgeous! Do you know his price range off-hand?

No need, found it: $775 starting point for Tenor

That sycamore you speak of happens to be my new beauty! I’ll make a NUD this week. It sounds amazing as well. Jon makes amazing ukes. They are deep and rich in sound...much different than a Kanilea.

That sycamore you speak of happens to be my new beauty! I’ll make a NUD this week. It sounds amazing as well. Jon makes amazing ukes. They are deep and rich in sound...much different than a Kanilea.

May you please send me sound sample as well. I've been following this thread, and would love to hear it!

Top Bottom