Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sing along songs for ukulele?

Quote Originally Posted by man0a View Post
    Here's the lyrics to the IZ ukulele version of this song: https://genius.com/Israel-kamakawiwo...ry-road-lyrics
    We were on the Big Island in January and I heard this version played live a couple times by the hotel musicians.

Sometimes I play the "Humline Song" by James Gordon

https://jamesgordonmusic.bandcamp.co...e-humline-song

Sweet Caroline

Brown Eyed Girl

Stray Cat Strut
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn2018 View Post
    You must have watched "The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis," "F-Troop" or "Gilligan's Island" recently.
    Not much Dobie, but the other two were entertaining. Remember where the Indian tribe got its name?
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Rllink View Post
    What the heck is a mountain mama?
    Where do you think mountains come from?

These seem to get a good reception when we play em: This Land Is Your Land, Hanalei Moon, Love Potion No. 9, Mustang Sally, City of New Orleans, Wahine Ilikea, Little Red Riding Hood, Hawaii Aloha/Aloha Oe, Baby Its Cold Outside, Be My Baby, Hotel CA & My Way.

Try "Don't Worry, Be Happy".
    Even if they don't know it they'll soon join in with the " Do do do " bit.
    Make up some verses to suit your audience - as long as they get to the chorus they'll be happy.

I'm preparing to retire after 40 years as a pediatric nurse (5 weeks and counting), but I will continue to be a music volunteer at the children's hospital. I'll help out for a few hours each week in the music room. It's pretty much an open/drop-in room, where the volunteers play music and sing for and with patient's and their families. We have a bunch of musical instruments (lots of ukes) that the kids can interact with. My goal in the next 5 weeks is to work on a set list of sorts for my volunteer days. Songs like all those mentioned so far. Songs that are universal favorites that everyone knows, plus songs aimed more at the kids....Disney tunes, and current pop tunes.
    My ukulele family.....
    KoAloha Koa concert - circa 2006 (Living Waters)
    aNueNue Moon Bird concert - Spruce & Rosewood - 2018 (Blackwater)
    Blackbird Clara - 2019 (Oasis Bright)
    Cocobolo concert - 2019 (Worth Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by RafterGirl View Post
    I'm preparing to retire after 40 years as a pediatric nurse (5 weeks and counting)...
    Good for you! Nursing is a noble profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill1 View Post
    Many of these tunes are getting to be 60 years old, which is not such a bad thing.

If you are playing with a younger group of people, many of these tunes will be written before their mothers were born. Look up the lyric to the Beatle's tune: "Your Mother Should Know". If you have accidentally opened a video of a live Taylor Swift concert, you may realise that any of the songs in the Billboard top 100 are good sing along tunes, a lot of younger people know the words by heart.

Its not hard to follow the Billboard chart using a platform like FaceBook or Instathing, or just checking the Billboard chart once a week. Out of the top 100 there will be some tunes that do not fit what you want and there will be one or two that are perfect for your sing-along, once everyone learns the words. They will have words, or a least a chorus, that will be easy to teach to an audience.

So if you are hoping to endear yourself or your group to anyone born after 1980, maybe you would consider concentrating on material that has been released or recorded this century, dropped as they say in the hip newspapers.

I am not sure if Jim Beloff would read this, but maybe he would enjoy a project: "365.25 Tunes from the 21st Century"? Start the project this Saturday on 29 February 2020.
    You have a valid point that most of the songs that I think of as popular are 30 plus years old. Last week, I worked up an arrangement for 91 year old Hoagie Carmichael song, "Stardust". I listened to a few Taylor Swift songs and even though I desire to be popular with the younger audience, just couldn't stomach any of it. I am trying to learn Ed Sheeran's "Perfect". The best I can tell it's in 12/8 time and it is best played in triplets.
    Last edited by Cornfield; 02-26-2020 at 05:20 AM.

Thread Information