Thread: Chords for the Tune

Default Chords for the Tune

If one knows the melody line for the tune and the key, how does one determine the placement of the chords?

What reference should I look for on the internet to learn how? Book, video? I would like to be able to put at least one chord per measure or two if possible.

Someone please show me or give me a reference because I am lost. I have tried playing the root chord and hearing where or when to change chords, however I have never been successful.

Others will know better, & probably explain it better than me, but here are my thoughts. you are playing in a 'key', it has certain notes, the first note of each bar, & the rest of the notes in the bar, should give you an idea of which chord would be suitable.

i.e. The chord will contain some of the notes that make up the bar.
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Johnny,

The notes in the melody drive when the chord changes happen. Sometimes the same chord will be played for several measures of music. At other times, the melody notes will require several chord changes within a single measure. You only change chords when the previous one no longer sounds right, harmonically-speaking, with the melody note. The bigger question then becomes, what chords do you play? Well, that generally depends on what key the song is in. The link at the bottom of my response will take you to a website that lists the five most common chords used in each key. If you know the song’s key, then this chart will help you narrow down the number of chords you will need to try, in order to find out which ones work best where in the song (a process generally done mostly by ear). When you don’t know what key a song is in, one way to find out is to play or sing the notes of the song and when you get to the last note, identify what note it is. For a great many songs, the name of the last note in a song will also be the name of the key the song is in. Hope this helps.

https://www.harpkit.com/mm5/ukulele-chords.html

Jan
    KoAloha KCM-00 (koa concert)
    KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia concert)
    Thormahlen Yew-kulele (yew concert)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)

Thread Information