Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loose Tenon ::: Any Downsides?

Default wow

Quote Originally Posted by jcalkin View Post
    Huss & Dalton is another guitar company that uses no neck tenon, brass inserts directly into the neck, and two bolts through the neck block. I would never consider any other method, though I have lately switched to threaded steel dowels in the neck rather than inserts on my ukes, and only one bolt.
    Thanks for this! It's an eye opener. And Printer2.

You should probably define your definition of "Loose". For some, loose means 1/64th (0.5mm) gap, for others a 2mm gap.

Sometimes I over cut one side of a tenon and/or it gets routed and the center of the tenon is misaligned to the body center line.

In such instances, I CA glue a shim (a piece of 0.020") to one side of the tenon to pack it out so i get a tightish fit.

It's not so tight that I can pick up the body by the neck without bolts. But there is decent wood/wood contact.

After I put in the inserts, I flood the tenon with thin ca glue to solidify the entire area. (I have youtube videos of this whole procedure)
    Last edited by Beau Hannam Ukuleles; 02-28-2020 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    You should probably define your definition of "Loose". For some, loose means 1/64th (0.5mm) gap, for others a 2mm gap.

Sometimes I over cut one side of a tenon and/or it gets routed and the center of the tenon is misaligned to the body center line.

In such instances, I CA glue a shim (a piece of 0.020") to one side of the tenon to pack it out so i get a tightish fit.

It's not so tight that I can pick up the body by the neck without bolts. But there is decent wood/wood contact.

After I put in the inserts, I flood the tenon with thin ca glue to solidify the entire area. (I have youtube videos of this whole procedure)
    By "loose tenon" I mean that the tenon is not an extension of the neck (same block of wood), but a separate piece from the neck and the body. The fit was was very good, a good friction fit. I epoxy-ed the tenon into the neck, into a mortise/pocket created in the heel of the neck. I should have provided a picture but I still haven't gotten back to that.

Although either term is equally correct, I prefer to call loose tenons, floating tenons. The loose tenon always sounds like an ego-damaging admission of sloppy joinery

Thread Information