Tuning Peg Screw Holes

BadMonk

Reaction score
My Islander tenor needed its tuners replaced. The manufacturer sent new ones but they're slightly different. The top screw hole is real close to the original hole. If I put the new screw in that close to the original hole, I think it'll eventually collapse into the old hole. Besides glue and toothpicks, is there another method that will hold up a new screw hole within close proximity?

Sorry if this is a repeat but my searches didn't hit upon this exact issue.

Can you ask them to send the right tuners? Perhaps provide a comparative photo and measurements of what you have.

I've used glue with toothpicks that have held up very well. Make sure you stuff as many into the hole as you can.

I can't help with the question, but I'd like to welcome you to UU, BadMonk!

My Islander tenor needed its tuners replaced. The manufacturer sent new ones but they're slightly different. The top screw hole is real close to the original hole. If I put the new screw in that close to the original hole, I think it'll eventually collapse into the old hole. Besides glue and toothpicks, is there another method that will hold up a new screw hole within close proximity?

Bore out the old screw hole, glue in a dowel, face it off even with the surface, drill the new hole exactly where you need it.

Those Islander tuners are lousy, ain’t they :/

The toothpick method works fine, especially if the new tuners cover the repair. If they don’t you might consider finding new tuners that will cover the repair. If not, try to find a wood that closely matches the mahogany of the peg head, and cut your “toothpicks” from that.

Top Bottom