Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buying problem: Kamaka or Kanile'a?

To add a totally materialistic note: for the general buying public, Kamaka has far superior name recognition in case you ever decide to sell it. Of course, the same would be much less true for pro's and uke aficionados.

Since you can get the Kamaka at a great price, you should have no problem selling it if it turns out you don't love it.

Wow, you are simply wonderful, thank you! You all have such a good points and gave me a lot to think about. Now off to work, but I'll get back to this later.

Gee, I'd love to have this problem.....
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

Yes, maybe I chose wrong title for this thread. It's hardly a 'problem' when one gets to choose between great ukuleles. I just have created this huge dilemma in my head. Maybe I should just take a chance and toss a coin or something. But this tradition thing really got to me. I'm all about tradition - my main instrument is piano with a long, long history. And all those hybrid grand pianos, not my cup of tea. Kamaka tenor comes with a tradition, so I think I'll go with that. I love to play classical music and finger pick with uke, and Kamaka tenor will probably suit for that really well. And as I have heard, it suits to pretty much everything.

Maybe someday I get to play KoAloha and Kanile'a too.
    Ortega RU11 concert and a long, long wish list...

Great decision, go for that Kamaka that will give you everything you can get from a Hawaiian made all solid Koa instrument, and more: a name that is connected to history and tradition more than any other ukulele.
    Enjoying instruments by - Beau Hannam - Jay Lichty - Jerry Hoffmann - Luis Feu de Mesquita - Kala - Kamaka - Kanile'a - KoAloha - Ko'olau - Moore Bettah - Pono - Romero Creations - and others

I’m at about the same place you are in my playing. I’d agree with an earlier post about buying the Kamaka if you have found a good deal (and then you could always resell since Kamaka will hold its value if properly maintained).

I was also deciding between Kamaka and Kanilea, and found a good deal on a used Kanilea, so I’m going that route (as I love the wider nut width).

I would recommend keeping the box in which it arrives in. I didn’t do that, and I’m wishing that I had. I’m not sure how to sell anything from my inventory because I don’t have a good shipping container handy.
    Last edited by DavidGuitar95010; 03-24-2020 at 05:20 PM.
    Pono PSO Mahogany Soprano Ukulele
    Islander MAT-4 Spalted Maple Tenor Ukulele

Total beginner...all thumbs... strumming daily...

Thread Information