KoAloha Strings NOW Available

efiscella

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I know that people are always asking how they can get Koaloha ukulele strings. I have seen many threads over the years that tell of large spools of fishing line from Japan, calling the factory and getting the strings sent in a plain white envelope, and endless guesses if they are Worth strings, etc. This past summer I asked Mom's about the strings and she said, "They are 'Worth-like' but not Worth. They are proprietary."

Well, the wait is over. Pops has finally put his strings in a package for sale. Actually, he put this together for the Japanese Market but he has sent several sets to me to see if there was any interest here in USA.

Pops has put these out under his UkeSA label. Here is what he says:Mahalo for investing in the string that I have been using for many many years. I am so happy that these premium ukulele strings are now available through a new brand that I am starting. I'm sure you will find that Papaloha Strings truly "sings" and will be so glad that you made the right investment.

Papaloha's fluorocarbon strings are uniquely processed and are durable, strong and flexible without acoustic or harmonic distortion. The proprietary double layered strings create a sound that combines the naturalness of "gut" strings and brilliance of steel strings. Experience the best sound of both worlds with Uke-reka fluorocarbon strings. The premium ukulele strings that will surely please your ears and hands. Happy picking, plucking and strumming.

The package of strings will work for Soprano, concert and tenor sizes. There are packs for High "G" and packs for Low "G"
Each package is $15.00 + $1 postage USPS

You may contact me here or send an email to ed@mainstage.org

IMG_0251 2.jpgIMG_0250 2.jpgIMG_0254 2.jpg

Last edited:
Haha, that Pops cartoon is cute! Can definitely see the resemblance.

I went on the Koaloha factory tour in Honolulu a couple of years ago and I could see the Seaguar Blue labels on the spools of string they were using. Are these the same strings as back then or have they changed to something new?

I don't know, other than what Pops told me. His story to me was that in the early years he was having difficulty finding the string that sounded the best on Koalohas. He tried many and then finally discovered a fishing line made in Japan that worked perfectly on the KoAloha Ukes. He said he worked with the company to develop the gauges and strings that he would use finding the right combination. He said that they purchased in large spools. I don't know if these are the same as what you saw, but these are the same strings they had been using. They have not changed strings. I also asked him which strings he uses on UkeSA and he said the same strings. I know that they use different strings on the KoAlana ukes.
I went on the Koaloha factory tour in Honolulu a couple of years ago and I could see the Seaguar Blue labels on the spools of string they were using. Are these the same strings as back then or have they changed to something new?

I’m delighted to hear that KoAloha strings are now readily available. The next time I need a set, I’ll know who to contact. Tell Pops that, yes! there is interest in the USA. Many thanks to you both for making this happen.

Jan

Thanks Jan-- I think Pops will be thrilled just from the orders I took tonight. I could not believe it when I told him that he should also make them available in the USA, he said, "Really? Do you think people will want them here.?" I assured him that for as long as I have been on the UU forums, the question of how to get KoAloha Strings keeps coming up. When you decide to get some, Jan, please email me (ed@mainstage.org). So much easier than the PM.

Thanks Jan-- I think Pops will be thrilled just from the orders I took tonight. I could not believe it when I told him that he should also make them available in the USA, he said, "Really? Do you think people will want them here.?" I assured him that for as long as I have been on the UU forums, the question of how to get KoAloha Strings keeps coming up. When you decide to get some, Jan, please email me (ed@mainstage.org). So much easier than the PM.

Will do. Thanks, Ed!

Wow, are they going to work well with my seven prong scepter? I have always had Worth's on it.

Maybe these are collectible now. They certainly had a personal touch to them.

KoAloha strings-3075.jpg

Wow-- great. Collector's piece.
I was talking to Pops today and I asked how he spent the morning and he said, "Winding and packaging all those strings you need." I could not believe he was winding the strings for packaging himself at the factory. I believe this is why it was always hard in the past.

Maybe these are collectible now. They certainly had a personal touch to them.

View attachment 125747

I would not be surprised if the decision was made after spending the morning "Winding and packaging all those strings you need."

Does anyone know how these sound compared to say, Worths?

From my experience (with what came on my AO) seemed to be slightly lighter gauge (at least in the A string). Maybe very slightly more brightness and shimmer and very slightly less mid range and warmth. They are good flourocarbon strings that I think are very slightly lighter than worth clear mediums. Again, sonically there are differences and players may prefer one over the other but the differences are subtle.

Last edited:
Nice to see this thread revived. Since Pops made these available last year, UkeSAHawaii.com has been sending these strings to players around the world. I think CPG got it exactly right about the "A"string. Also, these strings have a double core so you get a softer touch. Here is how Pops describes these strings (from the string packet): Mahalo for investing in the string that I have been using for many many years on KoAloha and UkeSA ukuleles. I am so happy that these premium ukulele strings are now available through a new brand that I am starting.
Papaloha’s fluorocarbon strings are uniquely processed and are durable, strong and flexible without acoustic or harmonic distortion. The proprietary double layered strings create a sound that combines the naturalness of “gut” strings and brilliance of steel strings. Experience the best sound of both worlds with UkeSA Hawaii fluorocarbon strings. The premium ukulele strings that will surely please your ears and hands. Happy picking, plucking and strumming. – POPS KOALOHA

Top Bottom