Guitalele compared to Short Scale Guitar

johnnysmash

Reaction score
I play Guitalele but find the fingering a little tight. So that made me think of a Requinto Guitar. Maybe a little more finger space. But when I check the specifications of a Requinto, they seem to be almost the same as my Yamaha CS40 and Aria A 20-53 Guitars except the Requinto has different strings. So now I am thinking that I could restring one of my short scale guitars and have a Requinto Guitar. Requinto tuning would put my guitar the same as a Guitalele, A to A.

Am I lost on the above or correct? Would the guitar with the Requinto strings sound just like a Requinto Guitar? What are your opinions and/or experiences?

A lot of 580 scale guitars I've seen are tuned standard E-E. They're sometimes referred to as 3/4 scale, although Cordoba considers 3/4 to be 615mm.

Also, consider the nut width. Getting a wider nut on the same scale helps a lot with the finger spacing, but then might make it harder to bar chords. I recently bought a cheap Valencia VC203 guitar with 580 scale, but it had a bit wider nut for a 3/4 size(48 mm), so the string spacing felt a little better than some of the other short scale guitars I tried. Coming from a baritone, the string spacing still feels tight in comparison, but the fret spacing seems massive.

So CS40 is almost 23" scale and you want A-to-A tuning. I would look for the lowest tension classical strings you can find. I am sure the Savarez high tension set would be for E-to-E tuning.

Last edited:
For more fingerspace try a Cordoba Mini M. You can buy strings for either A or E tuning.

It has a nutwidth of 50 mm and if you want a more "steely" sound, try the Thomastic KR116 strings, that are a mixture of steel and nylon but at a low tension equal to pure nylon strings.

Top Bottom