Are there major changes in sound with a side sound hole?

CYN

Reaction score
I was wondering how a side sound hole changed tone, volume etc. I know it makes it so the player can hear the music better. However, I wonder if you took and made two ukes of the same wood , one with the regular sound hole and the other with the regular sound hole and side sound hole how much would it change the sound?

i would doubt it. Remember, you don't even need a hole. It isn't as though the music is trapped within the instrument and only audible when it escapes through the sound hole. I have seen acoustic instruments (e.g., a balalaika) that have no sound hole. So I assume there wouldn't be a major difference. The sound board would still vibrate and make music regardless of the placement (or existence) of the sound hole. I do, however, imagine a minor difference.

I was wondering how a side sound hole changed tone, volume etc. I know it makes it so the player can hear the music better. However, I wonder if you took and made two ukes of the same wood , one with the regular sound hole and the other with the regular sound hole and side sound hole how much would it change the sound?

Not much. I think the volume drops a very small amount directed from the front of the ukulele. But having sound emanating from the side port doesn't seem to reduce the total volume of the instrument by much. It just directs some upward from the side rather than outward from the front.

It's interesting, quite a few people don't think that the side port does much. Yet when I've covered it with low tack tape or put a cloth in it, the volume that reaches me while I am playing it certainly decreases. I tried a blindfolded test where a friend covered the hole and left it open and handed me the the tenor to play. I identified it every time (8 of 8) it was covered or not when I strummed it. And got 7 out of 8 when I picked it. Not a foolproof test by any means. And conducted using only 1 instrument, a Cocobolo tenor. I think it makes a difference to how the player hears the ukulele as he or she plays.

The tone does not change.

We did not test to find out if it made a difference to an audience listening to it being played.

Last edited:
It makes a heck of a lot of difference to me. I can hear ALL of my mistakes.

I remember playing a blackbird Farallon with side port and without. There was a slight difference to me but not enough to where I felt I definitely needed a side port. The person sitting across from me could hear no discernible difference.

It makes a heck of a lot of difference to me. I can hear ALL of my mistakes.

Your comment makes me want to get a uke with a side sound hole. I can only hear my mistakes when plugged in to an amp. UAS building up..

Easier than purchasing ukuleles, download a decibel meter app to your phone or tablet. I have one on my tablet to set up my sound equipment. You can see it across the room. Play your ukulele with the side hole open and then cover it, open then cover it, keep doing that until you get some sense of it. See what happens on the meter and report back.

I'm just speculating here, but when you generate sound waves I don't think that you generate a finite number that get divided up in relation to the number of holes it has to escape from. I think the sound holes just direct the waves in different directions. But I'm not a scientist, so maybe I'm totally wrong.

I have many ukuleles, many with sound holes. You, when playing by yourself will benefit from one as you hear what you are playing better and enjoy the sound. ALWAYS prefer sound hole now, the way to go. I remember years ago when luthiers charged 2-500 dollars to put one in. You play mostly for yourself, just do it.

Steve Grimes was on one of The Ukulele Review podcasts not so long ago, and he talked about side sound ports, specifically about a debate he had with Jay Lichty regarding their effect on outward volume. It was pretty interesting. Ultimately, I think it boils down to the build, which is pretty much the answer to all of these types of questions. Below is the link. The whole podcast is worth a watch. Steve Grimes is a fascinating character, but the sound port discussion starts around 1:01.30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOf0RNz_YJk

My own personal preference is to have one. I play for myself, and the side sound port gives me a little better volume coming my way. I have 3 ukes with and 1 without. I don't think I'd buy another without unless it was something really, really special.

Top Bottom