Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chinese made ukuleles and COVID19

Default Chinese made ukuleles and COVID19

I've heard twice this week that so many people in China have fallen victim to this horrible illness, that most factories are producing at only 10% capacity.
    Does anyone have any idea how this will effect Chinese ukulele sales, and to what degree?
    "Those who bring sunshine and laughter to the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves".

Music washes from the soul, the dust of everyday living.

I'm not sure that anyone knows the true impact of all of this yet. Any instruments arriving on shelves right now have likely spent many weeks going through shipping to port -> export process -> time on container ship -> import process -> shipping from port chain, so I doubt we will see much of a change immediately. If the production shutdown is prolonged, I would guess that the impact on the end consumer will start to appear in about ~2 months.

I don't have any insider knowledge here, just speculation on my part. But it is an interesting question.
    Mainly a concert player.

Beansprout alto (myrtle) | Martin Konter | Kala Elite Soprano
    KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)
    UkeSA Pineapple Sunday concert (acacia) | Pop's Pineapple Sunday (koa)

Estimates for general sector (not specific to instruments) is that if things continue as they are now into April, then we should expect to see visible disruption in supply.

@Cluze can I PM you something about your Silver? I noticed something with mine and am not sure if it's a unique issue or all the Silvers.
    Ohana BK-70 | KoAloha KSO-02 | KoAloha Silver Tenor
    WTB So many...

Quote Originally Posted by kookoolele View Post

@Cluze can I PM you something about your Silver? I noticed something with mine and am not sure if it's a unique issue or all the Silvers.
    Please do! Happy to talk about my Silver.
    Mainly a concert player.

KoAloha Silver concert | Blackbird Clara | Kamaka HF-2A | KoAloha Opio KCO-10 (acacia) | KoAloha Opio KCO-10S (spruce top)

Caldogno, Northen Italy (50 Km far from Venice)

as you know, we have a big business of our ukulele strings in China, Taiwan and HK. Only a few facotry are open BUT the authorized workers are just 10% on the total just in order to keep the factory alive. T
    he chinese government gave to these few workers the autorizzation but at the condition that they do not come back home at all. In practice they are in quarantine into the factory so they must have everything, such as foods, clothes etc etc. This what our distributor located in china told us.

There are no problems at all about the ukuleles that come from China: 4 weeks of boath is a long time even for most terrible virus.
    take care.

Mimmo -Aquilastrings headquarter, Italy

That's ghastly, Mimmo! Thanks for letting us know. Workers in China have a hard life.

do you mean the Corona virus?
    ----------------------------------
    Mainland mahogany soprano
    Kala KA-SC
    Kala La Salle tenor

the Dominican Order: to praise, to bless, to preach

Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    do you mean the Corona virus?
    Yes. "Coronavirus" is a broad term describing a large group of viruses. There isn't just one single "coronavirus." Some strains of coronavirus are quite mild and are responsible for some colds. (As an aside, "the cold" isn't one thing either. You don't really get "the cold" you get *a* cold. It is a catch-all term for a bunch of different viral infections. The most common types are caused by different strains of rhinovirus, but some are caused by different strains of coronavirus.) Other coronavirus strains have been responsible for things like the SARS outbreak back in the early 2000's.

This particular outbreak, here in 2020, is due to a particular strain of coronavirus called "coronavirus disease 2019" or "COVID-19". The name distinguishes it from other strains of coronavirus.

(Yes, this was probably way more than you were asking, but I teach at a university. I can't help myself when someone asks a question that I can answer...)

EDIT: I should note that I don't teach medicine or infectious disease. I'm a physicist, so I'm the other kind of doctor, but... I am married to the medical type of doctor so I hear about these things.
    Last edited by Cluze; 02-28-2020 at 04:09 AM.
    Mainly a concert player.

I think there's two parts to this.
    First being the delays in manufacturing because of shutdowns. I think they extended the chinese newyear celebrations for an extra week or so, so from an output stance, there will surly be slight blip.

Second is, do you trust that a chinese manufactured item is "clean". There are many market fears, and we've seen the stock market reflect that heavily in the last few weeks especially. They dont seem to have solid data yet, but corona virus like birdflu/sars, only remain viable on a surface for about 9 days, compared to influenza which only stays viable for about 2 days. So, chances are unless you have some kinda fast expedited shipping, by the time you get a product from china, it should be safe. That said.... china is no longer the only place to be worried about. coved19 is now affecting the whole globe, and it's spread is fast and unpredictable, so there isn't a "safe" place.

I don't want that to sound scary, just saying that china is no longer any scarier than any other place. ( some might find that more disturbing than comforting )

Quote Originally Posted by spookelele View Post
    I think there's two parts to this.
    First being the delays in manufacturing because of shutdowns. I think they extended the chinese newyear celebrations for an extra week or so, so from an output stance, there will surly be slight blip.

Second is, do you trust that a chinese manufactured item is "clean". There are many market fears, and we've seen the stock market reflect that heavily in the last few weeks especially. They dont seem to have solid data yet, but corona virus like birdflu/sars, only remain viable on a surface for about 9 days, compared to influenza which only stays viable for about 2 days. So, chances are unless you have some kinda fast expedited shipping, by the time you get a product from china, it should be safe. That said.... china is no longer the only place to be worried about. coved19 is now affecting the whole globe, and it's spread is fast and unpredictable, so there isn't a "safe" place.

I don't want that to sound scary, just saying that china is no longer any scarier than any other place. ( some might find that more disturbing than comforting )

As of today -

gh.jpg

Maybe we should pause non essential imports from all affected countries, not just China
    Kamaka HF-3DC - Kanile'a Custom Tenor - KoAloha Special Issue Tenor - Pono MGTP5-PC

Thread Information