Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beautiful flamed Mahogony Pohaku

Default Beautiful flamed Mahogony Pohaku

I have come to the difficult decision to sell this wonderful little soprano. It isn't getting played much, as I'm primarily playing my tenor at the moment. This sale will hopefully help fund a Moon Bird tenor. In my house if one comes in ones gotta go out. I actually picked this ukulele up from Peter Hurney (Pohaku luthier) about a yer ago. The experience was one I will not forget and it actually makes parting with it much harder.

The top sides and back are beautiful solid curly Honduran Mahogany. The sides are one piece. The fretboard is
    rosewood and the bridge is also mahogany. It has 4:1 planetary geared tuners and Pohaku's signature curved back. The final lacquer is layered with a rich but subtle amber and a classic sunburst edge treatment. This instrument has a wonderful sound and I believe holds its own next to some of our K brand and Martin ukes my wife and I own. I don't recall the exact price but I know it came out to just over $1000 when I purchased it. I would take $650 shipped for this instrument. You would also have the choice between the Pohaku case it came with and a nicer Oahu case I purchased for it. If you happen to live locally, you could have both cases. It does have one tiny knick in it that I took a photo of. It actually stands out much more in the photo than it does in person.
    IMG_1736.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1739.jpg
    IMG_1740.jpg
    Thanks so much for looking. If you would like to see more pics, please let me know as I was only allowed to post 5. I am located in the Bay Area
    Thank you,
    Conor
    Last edited by cFloor; 03-08-2020 at 04:03 PM.

Beautiful soprano! I've owned both a soprano and a concert made by Peter—they are fabulous sounding and meticulously built... one-of-a kind.
    Currently playing: Bruce & Sons tenor, Gibson Style 2 soprano (c.1920s)

Once upon a time: Brad Donaldson soprano, Kinnard walnut concert; Kamaka koa soprano; Pohaku cedar/Cuban mahogany soprano; Collings UC1; Martin Style 0 (c.1920s), Martin Style 2 (c.1940s), Brüko long neck soprano; Martin 1-T (c.1940s) Pohaku cedar/mahogany concert

Quote Originally Posted by cogfasser View Post
    Beautiful soprano! I've owned both a soprano and a concert made by Peter—they are fabulous sounding and meticulously built... one-of-a kind.
    Thank you, and yes I agree. I would love this exact build from him in a tenor.

Price Drop: $700

Quote Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
    Thanks so much for looking. If you would like to see more pics, please let me know as I was only allowed to post 5. I am located in the Bay Area
    Hey Conor,

You can post more pictures by replying to your post and putting up to 5 in the reply.

Beautiful little uke. GLWS
    There is a subtle yet profound difference between the learning of something and the knowing of that thing.
    You can learn by reading, but you don’t begin to know until you begin to try to do.

—Lou Churchill, Plane & Pilot Magazine

Peter Hurney's work is superb. This looks like a great buy.
    Craig

Beau Hannam Spiral Rosette tenor
    Moore Bettah tenor "Ki Uke"
    Kinnard mahogany tenor
    Koa Works tenor
    Koa Works concert
    Pohaku custom mahogany concert

Lovely instrument. I have long admired Pohaku instruments. He has a great eye for style and detail.

Thanks for the comments. Yes absolutely, Peter really does do amazing work! Meeting him and seeing his shop was a special day.

Final Price Drop: $650

Still available

That figuring is some of the best I've ever seen on mahogany. I believe Pohaku ukes sometimes have uncommon tuners, would you happen to have a picture of them?

Thread Information