Hello from Finland!

Loska

Reaction score
Greetings from northern Europe, Finland! Last year I got bitten by a huge ukulele bug and shortly after that I found this place. My family think that I've gone completely nuts with this ukulele thing, so it is wonderful to find people with the same interest!

It all began in my classroom. I'm a classical piano teacher and one of my classrooms is filled with different school instruments. One of them being an ukulele. Last year just out of curiosity I picked one uke up and fell in love with this lovely little instrument immediately. Learned a few chords from a school music book at the spot and strummed something like 'itsy bitsy spider'. :cool: Later that evening I told my husband that I want to play ukulele and know everything about it. Week after I purchased my very first ukulele. And since then I have been playing a lot, everyday. I found a uke teacher too. I'm very, very trorough person with everything I do and my goal is to master ukulele the very best that I can. And play, and play! And play some more.

One down side being a classical pianist is that I want an all solid wood, high end and good quality instrument. And as I have a life long relationship with my old piano, I want something as lasting with my future ukulele. Now I have a Ortega Ru11, solid mahogany concert, but I'm looking to purchase a solid koa ukulele made in Hawaii. But deciding want I want seems to be impossible. So the search continues... I guess that I have a very severe form of UAS.

I'm very glad that I found this forum! :)

Welcome to the Underground, great introduction! Craving for one solid all Koa ukulele isn't really a severe case of UAS (just look at my signature). It's actually a great sign that you appreciate quality and respect the history of this great little instrument. :D

Heippa!
Welcome to the forum.
I congratulate you on your fine taste.
Ukuleles, and koa ukuleles in particular are fantastic instruments.
They are worthy of you most diligent efforts and when you just want fun, they are great for that too.

Welcome to the Underground, great introduction! Craving for one solid all Koa ukulele isn't really a severe case of UAS (just look at my signature). It's actually a great sign that you appreciate quality and respect the history of this great little instrument. :D

Welcome and I couldn’t have said it any better then Rakelele above. Pride of ownership and the joy received from the wonderful sound of an all solid koa Hawaiian made instrument is immeasurable.

Myself my wife our 2 sons and their partners all visited Finland last September. We had a great time, your country is wonderful and you should be very proud

Hello Loska and welcome to U.U.

I know about severe forms of UAS, I own more than twenty sopranos. One of my favourites is my KoAloha - solid Koa, made in Hawaii. I recommend you to try one. You may not need to look any further.

Enjoy your uking journey!

John Colter

Welcome Loska! I think having a few ukuleles can be a good thing. As a piano teacher you may be fortunate to be around a few different pianos, but it is still difficult to have 10 pianos in your home each having a different "sound" as you strike the same key and then deciding which of those pianos you want to play today. With ukuleles and their different sizes, woods, and constructions it's easy to get "hooked" wanting to hear more (and own a few). There is a relatively new thread in Uke Talk about the different K brand Ukes (https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?143944-Ranking-the-K-brands-by-size) you might want to read.

Can't help smiling to a thought of having ten pianos at home! :) I just got room for one. At work I have several pianos and grand pianos to use, and they all have a character of their own. So I'm very curious to try different ukuleles too, to find that I love, that fits like a clove. Last week I got a new piano at work and wow, played a little and I knew that that one is something special.

So I would like to try KoAloha concert. I think that it would be lovely for me after hearing lot of sound samples. Then there is Kanile'a, almost bell like, very beautiful sound. And then there is Kamaka and all the tradition that comes with it. I guess I go with Kamaka now because I'm all for tradition. I hope that one day I'm able to get those two too.

Oh, I forgot. Thank you all for such a warm welcome! :)

Top Bottom