Butternut wood for back and sides, anyone know of its tonal properties?

CYN

Reaction score
I saw some unusual butternut wood on one of the tonewood sites to build ukes. It was for back and sides use. I was wondering if anyone knew more about the wood what tone, projection , etc it would have? I know that the sound board is most important but the caption under it said it had great bass response.

Butternut is related to walnut. It is sometimes called White Walnut. I hav a mountain dulcimer with butternut top with walnut back and sides. It has a very sweet and balanced tone. I think you will find its timbre similar to walnut, cherry, or mahogany. However, I’ve never played a butternut ukulele. I would be interested to hear a ukulele with walnut back and sides with butternut top. I bet it would be sweet

Tom

Several years ago, Tim Teel from Martin Guitars was building Ukes on the side and used Butternut on a few of the (top, back and sides). He had a booth at Martin on Main one year and I fell in love with one of the Butternut concerts he had there. Sweet, mellow... a gorgeous sounding instrument. I simply didn’t have the money and I still consider it one of the “ones that got away “.

Scooter

The wood database (https://www.wood-database.com/butternut/) lists it as slightly less that Sitka Spruce for hardness, and exactly the same for density and hardness as Red Spruce. Since it's not as stiff as the Spruces, its sound energy (loudness) puts it a little closer to Cedar than Spruce. By the numbers, anyway - as ukeanixe wrote, it should be suitable for tonewood.

Last edited:
Top Bottom