Upgrade from Audacity - Windows

UkingViking

Reaction score
Hi,

What music recording software du people use when recording on a Windows PC?

I have been using Audacity, but I am missing a few features.
I would like to have a metronom with a pleasant drum beat rather than clicks.
I would like to be able to select the sound be entire bars, so I can cheat and copy - paste stuff more easily.
And I can't seem to get the reverb to work in Audacity. Any filters I use just seem to ruin the sound, so all I dare to do is change volume.

Is there anything out there that will help me, without being much more complicated to use than Audacity?

I've used Reason for years. The $99 Intro package should have everything you need to get started.

Or you could try Reaper which is free to try and only $60 for the full version.

Expect to spend a little time getting used to either.

I googled those two a bit, besides reading general reviews of software.

I am not fond of the graphics of Reason, but I guess that is just a matter of opinion.

The Reaper software is mentioned in several top-lists as a good "simple" software, when I don't need a ton of features. I might try that.
Does it have pre-programmet drum tracks to use as a metronome? Like, I want jazz drums, xxx bmp, for 32 bars, GO!, or do I need to program it myself?
My old cheap keyboard had a function like that, it would be handy. I wouldn't want high quality stuff to leave in the mix, just to keep time while recording.

My google searches suggest Pro Tools as the top program to use, but it looks damned expensive. Does anybody know if the free version is worth using?

I have not done much in Reaper lately. I'm kinda thinking it doesn't come with drum loops but I'm sure you could find some to import easily. Alternately, there may be a built-in or free VST instrument for drums. I'm pretty sure it does have a metronome function.

Reason definitely comes with some drum loops you can drop in. Or make simple MIDI clips with one of the built-in instruments.

Just my opinion, but if you aren't being paid to produce music, Pro Tools is overkill. Again, just my opinion. It is the industry standard for a reason, but (pun intended)Reason has always been enough for me.

I think you are right that Reaper needs customization, plug ins and stuff to do the job.
When looking closer, it is probably mostly the aggressive colours of the synthesizers in Reason that I dislike. I might try it out, after all I dont plan on using synthesizers.

I dont doubt that pro tools is overkill, but perhaps using the free version of the top software would be an advantage if I ever needed to share stuff with someone using the real deal.

I dont doubt that pro tools is overkill, but perhaps using the free version of the top software would be an advantage if I ever needed to share stuff with someone using the real deal.
Can't hurt to try free.

FWIW, you can always share audio files regardless of software systems, platforms, etc. I've done many collaborations like that. I've only done one or two where both people were working in the same project environment, which was NanoStudio on the iPad I think.

So, Reason needs some workarounds to work with my Blue Yeti.

Does anybody have experince with Presonus Studio One?

I guess I consider the need to install a third party driver a workaround...

Edit: Now I installed the driver, and it will recognize the Yeti.
I also installed Studio One.
Both softwares seem pretty complex compared to Audacity, wonder if I will manage this.

Last edited:
Update:
I installer the asio driver and tried to figurer out Reason, watching a bunch of YouTube toturials. It didnt quite work out.
After watching more youtube I decided to install Reaper.
This seems more intuitive to me, and easier to go to from Audacity. I guess it is a matter of personale preference.
As a bonus it appears that Reaper can also edit video. Pretty nice, since I was also looking for a good option for that.

My husband uses Studio One and if I remember correctly it has linked tutorials upon installation. There's currently a 30% sale for the month of April.

My husband uses Studio One and if I remember correctly it has linked tutorials upon installation. There's currently a 30% sale for the month of April.

Studio one is available in a bundle with the Blue Yeti, so It must work.
I downloaded the free trial, but didn't get around to try it before I saw so many reviews and toturials that I had gotten more interested in Reaper. Now that I found something that works for me I think I will stick with it. But I am sure that studio one is a strong contender.

Top Bottom