Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 420 Soul Music Days

Default Season 420 Soul Music Days

Soul Music Days

For Season 420, I would like you to do one or more of the following please.

1. Cover any song from the BBC Radio 4 series, Soul Music. There is a link below. Please note that we are not talking about Soul Music in the conventional sense, although the series does feature some songs by artists we would think of as Soul artists.

2. Cover the Kinks song Days. This wonderful song featured in Series 28 of Soul Music, and I would just love to hear your take on it. I know that some of you tend to do almost exclusively original songs, but if you can find time to do Days, that would be fantastic.

3. Write an original that says “Thank you”, in its title or lyrics. You can thank anyone, dead or alive, famous or not. You can thank a thing, eg your car, your socks and slippers, your uke! You can thank a place, or an animal etc. You can thank pretty much anything. So long as you are saying thanks/ expressing a debt of gratitude, even if you mean the opposite, it’s all good.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00...pisodes/player

No song limit.

Multi track, use other instruments and collaborate so long as the ukulele is at the heart of what you do. So if you have a Theremin laying dormant in the back of a cupboard somewhere, now’s the time to include it......possibly.

Season 420 begins at 00.00 Hawaiian time on Sunday 1st March and ends 23.59 on Sunday 8th March, which I dare say you all know, but for anyone who has just joined us....

I will comment on your songs on your YouTube channels as we go, a playlist will appear shortly.

I do not know at this stage if there will be a prize, but I would like to award a token prize or two if I can get organised for it.

Don’t forget that Val’s Season still has a while to go yet, so plenty of time to shed a tear or two on Season 419.

Above all, have fun and keep on uke-ing on

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...PLezgIrKiKavwG
    Last edited by One Man And His Uke; 03-02-2020 at 02:59 AM.

[QUOTE=One Man And His Uke;2212473]Right, still got power outage here until at least 3am UK time. So I'll just post the bare bones and edit with more detail and a vid in the morning.

For Season 420 I'd like you to do one or more of the following.

1) Play me any song from the 28 series of Soul Music, which is a BBC Radio 4 programme. I'll post a link tomorrow.

2) Play me Days, by The Kinks,which featured in a recent episode of the above series.

3) Do an original that expresses thanks or gratitude to someone or something.

John just confirming..any of the series is in play..not just series No 28. ie series 1 through to 28.
    Cheers..looks good!

"Soul Music - Series about pieces of music with a powerful emotional impact"

Great idea! There's a really eclectic collection here to choose from, John - 152 episodes!!

Sadly, I shan't be able to participate. I'm off at 5a.m. for ten days in the Bahamas. Do carry on as best you can without me.
    Last edited by redpaul1; 02-29-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    Argapa custom piccolo | Argapa custom resonator soprano | Rob Collins custom soprano | Kavanagh custom concert | Ashton soprano | Clearwater SB electric concert | Kala PU-SMH sopranissimo | Kala SSTU-BP soprano | Kala C/MU concert "The Mighty Uke"! | Kala SSTU-C concert | Kala SSTU-T tenor | Korala UKS-310 sop | Harley Benton BCJ100-FMH SB electric baritone | Lanikai S-B Baritone | Clearwater "long neck" baritone | Tiny Tangi

Too Drunk To Pluck

Bahamas? I envy you since we just had a cold front come through.

I look forward to learning about this program and to hear what music was highlighted by it. I see the link above my post works for us in the states. Most stuff from the BBC is region limited.
    Ukulele player since November 2013 and started playing toy piano in July of 2019. Lover of electric ukulele!

IG: @harmonysssmurf
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFt..._as=subscriber
    FB: Kelly Letourneau
    SC: https://soundcloud.com/stargazer-smurf

Bio:
    Interests: Astronomy, magic the gathering, ukulele, toy piano, clarinet and my kitties!

[QUOTE=Flatbaroque;2212477]
    Quote Originally Posted by One Man And His Uke View Post
    Right, still got power outage here until at least 3am UK time. So I'll just post the bare bones and edit with more detail and a vid in the morning.

For Season 420 I'd like you to do one or more of the following.

1) Play me any song from the 28 series of Soul Music, which is a BBC Radio 4 programme. I'll post a link tomorrow.

2) Play me Days, by The Kinks,which featured in a recent episode of the above series.

3) Do an original that expresses thanks or gratitude to someone or something.

John just confirming..any of the series is in play..not just series No 28. ie series 1 through to 28.
    Cheers..looks good!
    Yes John, ANY of the series is in play

What a great idea for the week, John ... and how have I managed to miss this series? A great choice of songs here!
    "The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it has taken place." George Bernard Shaw
    ​"Never hurt that person whose only intention was to see you happy."

Great theme! Got a few ideas to stew over on my drive back from Nottingham today
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Shouting Into a Tin Can EP on Soundcloud now!

Rule number one on the art of singing from Jimmie McGee... never try to sing like James Brown or Otis Redding. Sing with your own voice and accent... so here goes.
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

I did this on guitar years ago on youtube. The only comment I got was "your guitar is out of tune".Well it was pre Snark days...so harsh but fair. I didn't frame this very well so left hand is amputated.So if you like the arrangement the chords are basically from Dr Uke's. I just used his tenor chord shapes on baritone.So in Am instead of Dm. Contains some gratuitous harmonica. Summertime.
    I really like the eclectic song selection in this series...no duds. Thank you J.I.T.N.

or no voice at all....

Thread Information